Early 99 no speedo and abs is on. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 04:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Early 99 no speedo and abs is on.

I have an early 99 7.3 4x4 6 speed. I have an issue with the speedometer not working and the abs light is on. I have cleaned the old vss sensor. I have replaced it with a new vss sensor. I have tried pulling the battery cables. Nothing will get it working. I have some voltage at the vss connector at the rear. Can anyone tell me what the voltage should be? Also is there anything in the rear end that could cause my problem? Thanks for any help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 12:23 PM

Wow am I really the only person who has had this problem?
Old 08-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ive had this problem for going on 4 years now with no speedo after 40mph...replaced all speed sensors and still have the problem. The beauty is i dont need a speedo anymore, I just drive by the tach.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:13 PM

ABS Light is on because of metal shavings in your abs sensors in your rotars, or you need your abs system reflashed like i do (PITA!) But no clue on speedo
Old 08-07-2011, 02:24 PM

I dont have front abs so I don't think it shavings in the front rotors. Does anyone know where the red/white and green/black go inside the cab?
Old 08-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

sensor on rear end is bad. replace and all will be ok again. its the one on top of the pumpkin. VERY common problem..
Old 08-07-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons 7.3 powerstroke View Post
sensor on rear end is bad. replace and all will be ok again. its the one on top of the pumpkin. VERY common problem..
Dude not to be rude but did you even read my first post? That was the first thing I did.

So I have checked the ground behind the left front headlight and the gounds behind the fuse cover. I have tested the wiring harness from the pug at the firewall back to the abd sensor plug and it's all good. I have jacked up the rear end and watched the tone ring through the abs sensor hole and it has all of it's teeth and not dirty. The sensor doesn't have any metal on it. It's clean other than some fluid. With the key on I see voltage back to the sensor plug but the light stays on and no speedo. Is there a way to short the sensor out to test it? I am pulling my hair out over this one guys.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_f350 View Post
Dude not to be rude but did you even read my first post? That was the first thing I did.

So I have checked the ground behind the left front headlight and the gounds behind the fuse cover. I have tested the wiring harness from the pug at the firewall back to the abd sensor plug and it's all good. I have jacked up the rear end and watched the tone ring through the abs sensor hole and it has all of it's teeth and not dirty. The sensor doesn't have any metal on it. It's clean other than some fluid. With the key on I see voltage back to the sensor plug but the light stays on and no speedo. Is there a way to short the sensor out to test it? I am pulling my hair out over this one guys.
check the ohms resistance on both if is same, then possible bad new sensor but doubt it. check sensor on side of trans next then. sorry didn't see where u had already replaced. but first and foremost don't throw parts at it. ck the resistance then im sure someone on here or you could even google the specs.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:51 PM

OK I found this on a different site.

1. Your ABS/ VSS can be removed and cleaned with just a clean rag, no need for wd-40 or any other solvent, also carefully clean out the hole on top of the differential, lift the vehicle (place in neutral) and check the sprocket wheel inside the pumpkin for possible missing teeth or to see if it is loose.

2. The VSS (part # F85F-9E731-AA) can also be tested with an ohms meter, it should measure ~1.9 K-ohm or higher (lower than 1.9 requires replacement).

3. The VSS is a hall-effect sensor, connect a volt meter to the sensor connector and wave a piece of metal (pair of pliers or flat metal) about a half inch away from the sensor, and you will consistently see a variation in voltage, if no movement on the volt meter is observed, replace the sensor.

4. You also have the two front wheel ABS sensors, try cleaning them first, and carefully reinstalling them.

5. When the VSS sensor is malfunctioning, the PCM may try to get input from the TSS (turbine speed sensor, top of the transmission), and as it turns out, the same return wire is used by the OSS (output speed sensor, tail end of transmission), check these two sensors also, clean them and test them (1.10 K-ohm or higher). These are also Hall Effect sensors, so check for voltage as described in paragraph 3 above.

6. Pay attention to see if your ABS light blinks when you start the vehicle, just before it stays solid. If this is happening, count the number of blinks, as this is actually a code and the blinking means the vehicle is trying to communicate with you.

7. Last, if nothing above corrected the problem, I would start tracing RFI (radio frequency interference), one sure area is usually your fuel pump (wires running along side VSS wiring. ABS/VSS wiring is routed directly to the ABS module.

I hope this information works for you.

I checked my old sensor with my digital meterset at 200k. Is that the correct setting?

Old sensor 1.1 ohms resistance
New sensor 2.0 resistance

I set the meter to 20v dc and passed a wrench infron of the new sensor and the reeding went from 0.00 to 0.03.

SO does that sound like the new sensor is good?

This sensor on the trans you are talking about. Is that the sensor on the pass side top rear? Little round sensor with the ball in the end? I have one on the trans and one on the transfer case. Is that what you are talking about? Whats that called? Also where is the abs module on an early 99 with rear abs only?
Old 08-09-2011, 05:09 PM

Just an update. I pulled the main plug off of the RABS system under the battery. I was able to test my wiring back to the vss plug and it was good. Does this mean the RABS unit has gone bad and I should order a new unit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.