Oil leak on 99 7.3, Need suggestions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2007, 06:36 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Oil leak on 99 7.3, Need suggestions

I recently bought a 99 powerstroke with 212000 miles. It is leaking oil. Overnight it drops 4 to 5 inches of oil down my garage floor. If anyone knows what it is or what needs to be done to fix it please let me know. I have included pictures of where it is leaking at. It seems to be either on the back of the oil pan or the metal plate behind it. How much do you think it would cost to get it fixed? What do you think is leaking from the pics?
Attached Thumbnails
Oil leak on 99 7.3, Need suggestions-oil-leak-004.jpg   Oil leak on 99 7.3, Need suggestions-oil-leak-003.jpg   Oil leak on 99 7.3, Need suggestions-oil-leak-002.jpg   Oil leak on 99 7.3, Need suggestions-oil-leak-001.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2007, 06:39 AM
The Fat Mod

Get up on top of your motor with a flash light and see if there is any oil down in the valley. If so, you prolly have a HPOP O ring leak. Pretty eas and cheap fix. If there is oil on your bell housing, that is where I would start.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:58 AM
Premium Member

check you cac tube clamps, make sure they are tight.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Definitly start at the top. The rear main seal on these things (almost) never leaks. The engine valley is probably full of oil and draing down through the drain in the back of the valley. My HPOP O-rings were leaking not too long ago.

Sacrifice your turkey baster, get all of the oil out of the valley with that and a long pair of needle nose pliers holding shop towels. Getting all of the oil cleaned up helped me pinpoint my leak sooner. Like Logan said, get up in there with a flashlight and a mirror and look all around the HPOP. Do this while it is running.

The Ford O-ring kit (9A543) includes the (3) O-rings for the supply lines on the drivers side and the big nut on the back of the HPOP towards the firewall. The one with green or blue paint on it.

If those are replaced and it still leaks from there like mine did, there are also two more non-servicable O-rings inside the quick disconnect nuts that hold the supply lines to the HPOP. Those nuts need to be replaced if it still leaks (Ford part #9C402).

Also, check the turbo pedestal for leaks. If it is the pedestal, a good sign of that, is that the oil will only be in the back of the valley (I think).

Hope something here helps, don't let this make you go back to being a chevy guy, we'll get it, the guys on this site are awesome!

chris
Old 08-12-2007, 12:47 PM

Need more info

Thanks for the reply. But I simply don't know what an HPOP o-ring is. If you can, please explain where they are at and what they look like. A picture would be excellent. I really appreciate your reply though, I will try to find where you are looking at. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:54 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

the high pressure oil pump is mounted right below the fuel filter housing where the filter gets changed , the pump has two lines coming off the drivers side , one line going into each head , these lines are a braided line with a plastic covering over them for protection , really easy to spot, where those lines go into the high press. oil pump there are two 19mm fittings and one 18mm fitting at the back of the pump, the same o-ring fits all these fittings and like said before , it is a kit that can be bought from ford , do not use a standard o-ring , arent made to hold pressure , the kit comes with lock tite to put on the fittings , if its leaking that much , i bet your high press. pump fittings are leaking
Old 08-12-2007, 12:58 PM
<<---"Shadow"---

Send a message via Yahoo to sea71
Just under the black plastic "Powerstroke" cover in the center of your engine(looking from the hood-remove that cover) your hpop is the squarish looking aluminum colored "box" sitting there. On the drivers side toward the bottom and back of that box is 2 lines comong off it. On the back(near the cab) and near the drivers side there is a plug. Thats where the three Orings go if you can see oil leaking from there.While the truck is idling, use a flash light and CAREFULLY look down into the area where those two lines come out of the hpop, and watch to see if they are seeping.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:13 PM

Found the HPOP

I found the oil pump and all the connections look dry. I tried to take some pics of the connections to the pump and to both sides of the motor. Tell me what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Oil leak on 99 7.3, Need suggestions-oil-leak-005.jpg   Oil leak on 99 7.3, Need suggestions-oil-leak-006.jpg   Oil leak on 99 7.3, Need suggestions-oil-leak-007.jpg   Oil leak on 99 7.3, Need suggestions-oil-leak-008.jpg   Oil leak on 99 7.3, Need suggestions-oil-leak-009.jpg  

Old 08-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Ok, they do look fairly dry. Is there oil in the front of the valley? Just below the HPOP, or is it primarily in the back of the valley?
I don't know how to do attachments, but I tried. If there is an attachment with this, it is a schematic of the HPOP.
If you can open it, look at part numbers 9C402. That is what you checked along with the O-rings that have the square and the circle pointing to them.
You will also want to check the bolt in the back. It has a solid colored circle going to it(directly under the second 9 in the part number 9C968). That is the other O-ring in the tsb kit. You will need a mirror to see this. Also use your mirror to check the underside of the other two connections while you're in there.
If there is no oil in the front of the valley, none of this probably matters. The leak wouldn't be coming from the HPOP.

Good Luck
Attached Files
File Type: zip HPOP.zip (2.15 MB, 106 views)
Old 08-12-2007, 01:47 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Curious - where are you located?

Might have someone nearby that has worked on these motors before that might be able to come by!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.