A/c Blower problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 08:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile A/c Blower problem

Hi to all,
I have a 2001 f250 7.3l,
my ac gets cold, but the fan does not seem to blow very hard on high.
Each level blows harder than the previous, but not as hard as it should.

My 2007 f150 will blow your hat off.

Is this a problem in the motor or switch?

Thanks for your responces...

mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

bump im also intersted
Old 07-15-2011, 07:11 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
A few things. Are you sure it is engaging the vent ducts? It isn’t stuck part way closed? Check all lines first.

Also, is the fan running at different speeds on each level? I would assume you could hear that. I know what is wrong if you only have high but that doesn’t seem to be the issue at all.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am having the same problem with my 99.5 F-250 7.3L ---- the blower motor is simply weak. Blower runs on all settings and changes speed just fine. But the HIGH setting is just pathetic, even only on vents with Max A/C, and with one vent manually closed (either driver or passenger side). It just doesn't cut it in the Georgia summer heat!

Over the past 2 days, I've done the following:
- removed the glovebox and verified proper movement in both the blend door actuator, and the re-circ actuator
- removed the cover from the heater core and checked for debris (found little to none)
- removed the blower motor, checked for debris in the re-circ box plus on the evaporator core (found little to none)
- vac'd, sprayed compressed air, then a tiny bit of WD and then more vac, then a tiny bit of silicone spray into the blower motor windings themselves
- the blower motor turns just fine and doesn't seem to have a lot of resistance to it, although the plastic fan portion itself is still labeled 2/99 so it is original. I'm not sure if the motor itself is original.
- removed the blower motor resistor, looks normal, also can see more of the evap core in there too, looks a little dirty but not caked on
- vacuumed out all debris I could get to, along with the drain on the evap box. Is the evap box drain supposed to have a hose coming from it? Mine is just like a grommet and it empties out behind the fender wheel well. And it still doesn't seem to drip a whole lot, like some of my other vehicles do.
- found a small leak of R134 from the backside of the compressor, where the 2 lines mount in , there is a small bolt on the bottom of the block that mounts both the hi and lo pressure lines, that was a tad loose so I tightened that
- removed the cowl cover to check the drains and removed gunk in there, this truck lives outside underneath some big trees which dump stuff all over it all year

Ended up putting one can of R134a in there since it was on the low side, especially since the ghetto refridge hose you get from the local auto parts store sprayed out some 'fridge when hooking it up. Receiver/dryer lines are ice cold and they sweat plenty good, which is as they were a little while ago until I guess the small leak opened up.

The other mystery is that the re-circ box seems to collect water. It did drizzle a little last night and the hood was only latched shut (i.e. just like if you would pop the hood open), but it seemed to catch water in there easily. It was parked on a very slight uphill too. and there has nearly always been a musty/watery smell in the cab after the truck has sat for a while. I guess I need to try to seal up all the cowl area better to keep water out of it.

I'm perplexed as to why Ford decided to mount the evaporator in the engine compartment, but the heater core in the cabin side?????? This engine gets so warm naturally because its HUGE and its HOT, and the bellhousing projects in towards the cabin so far. The truck gets warm pretty easily just by the engine itself, I barely have to run the heat on any setting other than low fan speed. Why have the cold part (evap core) right next to a cylinder head, in a poorly insulated plastic box?????? It should be reversed, but I'm just a lowly aerospace engineer so what do I know.

I have also verified that the blower motor is getting 14.27 volts at the blower motor plug. So it does not appear to be a juice thing, considering the googling I did turned up a lot of websites for the 80's Ford trucks and having weak voltage being supplied to the blower (everyone seemed like doing a relay mod to feed straight 14.2 volts to the blower would "supercharge" the blower).

Another interesting thing I found while googling is that some folks put manual valves on the heater hoses, which run to the heater core. That is, close off the hot coolant flow completely to the heater core during the summer. Sounds like a novel idea to me, and not expensive or that difficult. Thoughts?

Anyways, I guess for now it's as good as it's gonna get, I finished all that up and changed the oil and proceeded to spill it everywhere in the driveway, so tomorrow I will have to pressure wash and just go out an dial up some boost to bring a smile on my face to oppress my worn hands and dirty nails.

Any suggestions to try and up the CFM capacity in the cab?????? It looks like a blower motor is about $35 from the local parts place, but you have to swap the plastic fan which is probably easier said than done (I picture myself prying on it and destroying it).

For all of the above, I spent nearly as much time doing all that as I did trying to get the STUPID 3 little rubber stand-off mounts back on that fuel soleniod thing which is right in front of the blower motor. That thing frustrated me so much, that I gave up and zip-tied it.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It does get frustrating!!!!!

My fan does change speeds on all four settings, it just does not blow hard enough and the vent ducts are all the way opened.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:58 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Buy a new blower motor, they're $36 from Rock Auto. Oh, and you should look into installing a 3/4" PEX ball valve on your lines running to the heater core, you can shut off the hot coolant from coming in, which will also drop temps inside.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah, I'll see how it goes this week and if it doesn't cool down the cab enough, I'll try a new blower motor.

Also I'll try the valve on the heater hoses, at some point.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:50 PM

I have the same problem with my 02 Crew Cab PSD F250 2 WD. I can hear the fan blowing at full speed but the volume of air on high is coming out like it is on low. The air that does come out is Ice cold. So far we checked the selector switch (swapped from properly working truck), inspected the vacuum lines-all seem ok, swapped out blower motor (from the same other properly working truck). Inspected all of the diverter rods and checked their operation manually, cleaned out the evaporator and still.....no volume of air. Not sure what else to check. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.....It's hot and humid down here in Miami and I'm sweating!!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 01:45 PM

Good stuff...anyone figure this out yet?
Old 08-22-2011, 02:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Nope, mine has been decent but still doesn't blow as much air as I'd like. It is ice cold though.

I probably won't try a new blower motor and/or the valves on the heater core hoses until next year. It's decent enough for now and I just don't drive the truck all that much.

Plus, I've got a leaky front axle seal that requires attention first...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.