Low mileage diesel truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 09:14 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Low mileage diesel truck

New guy here, and I need some help. I'm looking for my first diesel truck.

I don't want truck payments, so I'm look for a early 2000's with the 7.3 diesel.

I found a 2002 F250 SC 4X4 with only 65k on it. I haven't seen it yet, but it's suppose to be very clean and in "like new condition"

The "asking" price to me is very high 18.5k!!

But my real question is, diesel motors were meant to work and work hard. What can I expect out of a 10 year old truck that has been a lazy grocery getter its whole life?

More about me... I need this truck to work, play, tow, and be a DD, its lazy life would be over. I plan on driving this truck about 40k a year, maybe more. Can a diesel motor that has had an easy 10 years, now become a workhorse like it was meant to be. Can I get 7 years and another 300k out of it?

I'm just not sure if they ruined the motor by not driving it and working it properly. Is it better for me to find a truck with 200k on it, that has been driven and used properly and is 5k cheaper to buy. Would you buy a 10 year old diesel truck with such low miles?

Back to the price, what would be a fair price for this truck? I think 18.5k is crazy high, do you? I live outside Chicago and diesel trucks are not cheap here in the midwest. So what would you suggest. Thanks for your help and suggestions. I love this forum already!!

Last edited by donson6; 07-14-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 10:13 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
the value of 7.3's has gone up ALOT in the past few years, because of what they are, reliable, solid, and well in high demand!! Not to mention no emissions bs.

SO finding one with lower miles for a lower price wont be hard, heck i paid just under 12k for mine.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

That price is about right. I got lucky with mine I bought it back in April with 199k on it and I paid 9k for it. I almost bought a 95 F-350 with 194k on it for 10k before I found this one. These trucks are expensive because they last forever, and are more desired every day.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:41 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If it was a crew cab, they'd probably be asking mid 20s for that truck. $18.5 is a good price, I'm surprised they're not asking more. The truck will be a great ride for you.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:28 AM

Don't know where your from but that's a low price for that truck in Michigan.

I bought mine from my dad with 58k on it. He babied the heck out of it and I've done nothing but work the brass ones off it since I've owned it and it hasn't skipped a beat. You'll be very happy with it.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:11 PM

I agree with the other posters - the price of 7.3 trucks is crazy! With that said, I paid 13k for my '99 with 210k on the clock! Now the truck is in nice shape - it was used mainly to tow a race car in the summer so it has so far pretty much escaped the WI winters. Otherwise I would not have bought a truck from up here. I did pay a premium but what I got in return was a rust-free truck. In the upper half of the country, it's not the miles that will eventually get them, it's the salt!

Yes, the 7.3s are really holding their value.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by donson6 View Post
New guy here, and I need some help. I'm looking for my first diesel truck.

I don't want truck payments, so I'm look for a early 2000's with the 7.3 diesel.

I found a 2002 F250 SC 4X4 with only 65k on it. I haven't seen it yet, but it's suppose to be very clean and in "like new condition"

The "asking" price to me is very high 18.5k!!

But my real question is, diesel motors were meant to work and work hard. What can I expect out of a 10 year old truck that has been a lazy grocery getter its whole life?

More about me... I need this truck to work, play, tow, and be a DD, its lazy life would be over. I plan on driving this truck about 40k a year, maybe more. Can a diesel motor that has had an easy 10 years, now become a workhorse like it was meant to be. Can I get 7 years and another 300k out of it?

I'm just not sure if they ruined the motor by not driving it and working it properly. Is it better for me to find a truck with 200k on it, that has been driven and used properly and is 5k cheaper to buy. Would you buy a 10 year old diesel truck with such low miles?

Back to the price, what would be a fair price for this truck? I think 18.5k is crazy high, do you? I live outside Chicago and diesel trucks are not cheap here in the midwest. So what would you suggest. Thanks for your help and suggestions. I love this forum already!!

well donson, these 7.3's run forever, my buddies excursion has a/b 520k on it and runs better than most new cars.

as far as price yes these trucks go up daily, i purchased a 97 ext. cab 2wd 2 years ago 175k on the clock and had a bad trans for $3500.00 then put $2000 in trans but i sold it 8 months later for $7500

i just purchased a 99 reg cab long bed 2wd 140k one owner for $5000, now had to get from texas at that price go in there damn set determined with cash (if possible) and talk them down as much as you can remember cash talks. but yeah down here in TN these trucks with reg cab 2wd w/ 200k go for $7000 to $8000 all day everyday. well hope this helps and good luck.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:53 AM

just picked up the truck in my sig for 6,300. if it were my i would have sold it for 9 or 10. that seems a consistant price for these trucks. IMO, for a single cab, thats a little much. but i have absolutly no use for a single cab.

either way, bring cash, as stated cash talks. talk them as much as you can. i agree, these arent cheap in the midwest.

heck yeah you can get 300k out of it. just stick around here and we will get you more than that! get the truck, tell us what your doing with it and we will set it straight on longevity mods!
Old 07-18-2011, 06:18 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think by SC he meant super cab...
Old 07-18-2011, 10:39 AM

good point. i hope so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.