4 in exhaust question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 06:45 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4 in exhaust question

I have an early 99 7.3 and am going to order a turbo back system. Do I need to look for a specific exhaust or do the systems fit both early 99 and late 99. I was just wondering because im pretty sure the early 99 has a smaller trubo and I did not know if the down pipe that connects to the turbo is the same size on the early 99 and the late 99.

Last edited by adavis11; 07-14-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavis11 View Post
I have an early 99 7.3 and am going to order a turbo back system. Do I need to look for a specific exhaust or do the systems fit both early 99 and late 99. I was just wondering because im pretty sure the early 99 has a smaller trubo and I did not know if the down pipe that connects to the turbo is the same size on the early 99 and the late 99.
I just installed a MBRP 4" straight pipe single exhaust by myself on my e99 in a lil over an hour the other day, just ordered a kit for a 7.3, no specifications. Most of that time was getting the band clamp off the stock exhaust and dicking around with it to get it as far from the rear shock as I could. Over all very easy to install.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ive been trying to get that clamp off for over an hour and it wont budge, I sprayed the h**l out of it with pb blaster and it will not move, I was gonna cut the exhaust by the transmission and try to wiggle it loose but didnt want to risk not being able to get it off that way either! any tips, pointers on what else to do? Its a late 99 with stock exhaust so I know there is lots of arbon and build up in there!
Old 08-03-2011, 12:39 PM

I ended up taking a flat head screw driver and bending the clamp slightly to get it off, just use some plyers to get it back in shape once its off. I cut my exhaust off in two places, just after the cat and at the bend of the down pipe, no problems getting it out. If you also cut it after the axel it will be even easier.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:13 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Were you guy's having problems getting the v-band clamp off the turbo? The best way to get that one off is with an air hammer. Or a long punch and a BFH will knock it loose every time
Old 08-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHCPOWER View Post
Were you guy's having problems getting the v-band clamp off the turbo? The best way to get that one off is with an air hammer. Or a long punch and a BFH will knock it loose every time
Ive tried pb blaster and about 2 hours of tightening and loosening it, I pried on it with my flat bar but it just wont come loose! I am gonna try to cut the downpipe tomorrow after I loosen the band again and hopefully it will vibrate loose on its own! I might have to get under it and kick it a little also to help it pop off! I dunno, Im ready to just take it to a shop before I hurt myself out of frustration, LOL!
Old 08-04-2011, 04:17 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You have to strike the v-band to knock it loose. I've spent hours trying to pry them off and it won't do anything. One carefully placed blow with a pry bar or long punch right on the V part will get it off. It will basically explode off of there. The same technique goes for getting the v-band off of the y-pipe. It will work....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.