How to change rear leaf spring - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 05:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to change rear leaf spring

My main rear leaf spring is broken. The biggest one that bolts to the frame mounts. Actually the drivers & passenger side is broke.

Is it straight forward on how to change these? Any special tools required?? Also is it strange that both are broke?? They probably did not break at the same time & I have no idea how long they have been broke. My shocks are bad which probably didn't help. I don't tow alot. I do have a 30ft travel trailer that I tow & haul my firewood with the truck. That's about it for working her.

Another question is can the broken leafs be welded? ( pretty sure I know what the answer to that is).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011, 06:26 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It is very straight forward to change them out and no special tools are required although having large wrenches helps immensely. Just do one side at a time and it is easier if you have 2 floor jacks and several jack stands, but working with one floor jack will be fine but take a bit longer.

It does seem strange that both are broke since these leafs are heat treated to improve strength. Welding the leafs now would cause them to be weaker and brittle. Get some take offs from someone who has upgraded or visit a junk yard. I got a set from a buddy of mine for $50.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:32 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Childs play! Just like evil said, do one at a time. 10X easier to do one at at time. otherwise, you will be crawling, flipping and shrugging!
Old 07-11-2011, 09:53 AM

Thanks for the info. It looks straight forward but simple stuff usually causes me the most grief. I do have 2 floor jacks & 2 jack stands. My dad has a large socket set which I can use. I think it is 3/4" drive.

I found a place locally that can get them new for 70 bucks a piece. Have them on order & will be in friday.

Is there torque specs for the bolts I will have to remove??
Old 07-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
"Good-n-tight" was the torque spec I used and then checked it with a torque wrench to about 125 lb-ft.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:29 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Lol-just tighten them until you are confidant they are tight. As for springs, get some out of a newer truck-2005-2007 are a great upgrade, but 08-up are even better.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:16 AM

Got them changed a couple days ago. Wasn't a real bad job. Definetly done much worse jobs. Only had trouble with 2 bolts. They didn't wanna come out. Took as long to get those bolts out as it did to change the springs & put everything back together. Trucks sits about an inch & a half higher in the back now.

I checked with Ford to see if there was a torque spec & there is. 185ftpds. 185ftpds is ALOT!!! My arms was sore when I was done.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:43 AM

I had one done last spring at a spring shop. It cost about $200 and I didn't have to deal with it. Plan on new U bolts as well as the leaf.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.