Has this happened to anyone? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Has this happened to anyone?

So tonight I ordered a phoenix PHP tuner and I pulled my ECM to get the code. Well blew the connections off and put it back in then started it up and everything was fine. I leave my parents house and head back to my apartment and I cant go above 45mph, so Im like what the hell! I stop and get fuel and then Im on my way and its getting better. I then get on the highway and everything seems to be ok.

Does the computer need to reboot itself? Its ok now I think and call me crazy but I think it has a little more power too! haha I dont know what to think now. I never read about this on the forums.

Let me know what you think!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011, 12:40 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Blew off...you have to clean the connections..
Old 07-11-2011, 12:59 PM

yea I usually do things the right way and I looked at the connections and they looked really clean so I just blew it out.

Everything is normal now. When I get the phoenix I will definitely clean it the right way.

Im not ganna lie tho I think the engine is a little more robust, but there is no way to really tell.

Thanks, Eric
Old 07-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
The only think I can think of is you cleared the "KAM Memory" which is the "learned" shift points in the PCM, making it shift differently.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:41 PM

its a manual so I control the shift points haha
Old 07-11-2011, 09:09 PM

ToMang07 still has a point, the pcm learns a pattern good or not. My Y2K had been driven for the first 260K miles of its' life like a hybrid car and let me tell you what, it was gutless....
I hooked up to a small four horse gooseneck trailer with one horse in it and took it to a rodeo some 100 miles away. The motor over heated to redline three times the way there, and I was having to drop three gears to climb some of the hills that our '03 would have handled like a walk in the park.
After that trip and having it a WOT 75% of the time just to keep 65mph in a 70 zone, the PCM must have reset itself because on the way back it was noticeably better to drive only having to drop out of overdrive in a couple sections and the fan kicked in when it needed to, it must have been the first time in it's life it was needed...
Old 07-12-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1laf View Post
ToMang07 still has a point, the pcm learns a pattern good or not. My Y2K had been driven for the first 260K miles of its' life like a hybrid car and let me tell you what, it was gutless....
I hooked up to a small four horse gooseneck trailer with one horse in it and took it to a rodeo some 100 miles away. The motor over heated to redline three times the way there, and I was having to drop three gears to climb some of the hills that our '03 would have handled like a walk in the park.
After that trip and having it a WOT 75% of the time just to keep 65mph in a 70 zone, the PCM must have reset itself because on the way back it was noticeably better to drive only having to drop out of overdrive in a couple sections and the fan kicked in when it needed to, it must have been the first time in it's life it was needed...
I do not have any experience with PCMs but I would have to agree that something had to have reboot its self or something.

Hey the1laf how do you like your short shift? I was looking into it, but I read on the forums people do not like the way it shifts with the short shift and they were not satisfied with the quality of the short shift product
Old 07-12-2011, 03:03 PM

don't mean to but in. i just bought a 2001 4wd cc short f350. first trip loaded to about 11000lbs it ran awful, on the way home it ran alot better. the previous owner only pulled a ski boat with it. so maybe there is something to the pcm resetting.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked. View Post
don't mean to but in. i just bought a 2001 4wd cc short f350. first trip loaded to about 11000lbs it ran awful, on the way home it ran alot better. the previous owner only pulled a ski boat with it. so maybe there is something to the pcm resetting.
unless someone else chimes in and has a better explanation I think we are all kinda thinking the same thing, except I took my PCM out and couldnt go above 45mph but it ran fine.

11k load is a pretty hefty load. hope it is ok now
Old 07-12-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_ACP View Post
unless someone else chimes in and has a better explanation I think we are all kinda thinking the same thing, except I took my PCM out and couldnt go above 45mph but it ran fine.

11k load is a pretty hefty load. hope it is ok now
Unfortunately I haven't bought the short shift kit yet... it's in my wanted list... I'll find some of the threads i found on it when I get back in.

For sh!ts and giggles try 2 10K resistors parallel instead of the 5.6K I think it has a longer power band...

I'll be installing EBC yellowstuff's the end of this week if you want to know about them...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.