new to 7.3, trans torque conv. question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new to 7.3, trans torque conv. question

I bought my 03 7.3 about six months ago. ive put about 2500 miles on it since ive had it. this is my first diesel and the first vehicle where ive been very sensitive to how it shifts and accelerates. My mods are in my sig. My question is, when under normal acceleration, the speed will increase by my rpms will basically stay the same depending on my throttle input. Example, if i give it enough throttle to get to aprox 2000 rpms and keep my foot there, it will accelerate through the gears and basically just hover around 2000. Local people ive talked to with 7.3s and other diesels say that is normal. The torque converter can only transfer so much power when it is unlocked and it just is what it is. I am just so used to other vehicle that even when the torque converter is un locked, the rpms usually increase with the speed. Ive never had a vehicle with this much torque and power either though. If i hammer on the throttle, the rpms increase normal and obviously the speed increases. Its just weird to me at like one third throttle the rpms will just hang out within a couple rpms of each other while it shifts and gets up to speed. The trans was rebuilt 30K ago with a billet converter. It shifts good, drives good, and i dont really have any complaints, just kind of seeing if this is normal for a diesel, esp with the 4r100. I do love my truck and like i said, havent had any trans problems at all just am getting used to how much different the truck feels when the tc is unlocked compared to locked.

EDIT: my trans temps are never more than 150 either, even when it is 90 degrees out. That is based on the trans sender being in the designated location on the mag hytec pan.

Last edited by vdog0531; 07-10-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
hmm sounds normal to me, but you can make your own TC lock up switch if you like.. i have one.

How are those tunes for ya?
Old 07-11-2011, 03:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietoremain View Post
hmm sounds normal to me, but you can make your own TC lock up switch if you like.. i have one.

How are those tunes for ya?
i like them. The truck had an edge juice with attitude when i bought it. Within a month i had a 3 pillar gauge set up and some custom tunes. Even on Innovatives aggressive street tune, which they say is mild and safe, makes the edge juice w attitude look silly. It seems to even idle better with the custom tunes and just smoother all around.

regarding my original post, i drove it around more last night and paid close attention and i guess its really only light acceleration that the rpms do not move much. But if i get it up to say, 2000 rpms, then back out a little, it will just hang out at 2 grand and go through all three gears and i'll be up to 45 ish and the tach hardly moves. These diesels are a whole new beast to me. love the power, thats for sure.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

that is completely normal operation for this engine tranny combo. I'm @230K mi on my original trans and it still runs just like that.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdog0531 View Post
I bought my 03 7.3 about six months ago. ive put about 2500 miles on it since ive had it. this is my first diesel and the first vehicle where ive been very sensitive to how it shifts and accelerates. My mods are in my sig. My question is, when under normal acceleration, the speed will increase by my rpms will basically stay the same depending on my throttle input. Example, if i give it enough throttle to get to aprox 2000 rpms and keep my foot there, it will accelerate through the gears and basically just hover around 2000. Local people ive talked to with 7.3s and other diesels say that is normal. The torque converter can only transfer so much power when it is unlocked and it just is what it is. I am just so used to other vehicle that even when the torque converter is un locked, the rpms usually increase with the speed. Ive never had a vehicle with this much torque and power either though. If i hammer on the throttle, the rpms increase normal and obviously the speed increases. Its just weird to me at like one third throttle the rpms will just hang out within a couple rpms of each other while it shifts and gets up to speed. The trans was rebuilt 30K ago with a billet converter. It shifts good, drives good, and i dont really have any complaints, just kind of seeing if this is normal for a diesel, esp with the 4r100. I do love my truck and like i said, havent had any trans problems at all just am getting used to how much different the truck feels when the tc is unlocked compared to locked.

EDIT: my trans temps are never more than 150 either, even when it is 90 degrees out. That is based on the trans sender being in the designated location on the mag hytec pan.
Sounds perfectly normal, my 99 7.3 will stay between 2000-2200 RPM and get up to speed easily..enjoy the power
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.