Straight Exhaust - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Straight Exhaust

Was up late last night doing research on here. I'm new to owning a diesel. I have a 01 f250. After researching I've decided to do a DIY Tymar and straight pipes. I talked to a dude today, who does work on my cars, he said he could put a 4" straight pipe on it. He doesn't have the machinery to bend it, so we are thinking of putting a dump right before the rear axle. Is there any problems with doing this, like overheating tires or anything like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2011, 10:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Nope, won't run into any trouble like that if you choose to go that route.

The stock 3.5" will flow as much as you need with a mostly stock truck. You can have him chop the muffler out, loosen the clamp on the exhaust in front of the muffler and rotate it until you have a straight shot to where the tailpipe was chopped off the muffler and weld in some straight pipe. 1/2 hour to a clean, functional and GREAT SOUNDING exhaust.
Just get that muffler out of there and you will be in fine shape until you start with injectors, bigger turbo, etc. I opted for a walker BTM after a year of straight pipe, it was just a tad too loud outside the truck for the family-mobile.

You will be amazed how much better it seems your truck will breathe with the diy and the straightpipe.

Enjoy your truck.
Scott

Last edited by ScottyP5947; 07-09-2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 07-09-2011, 10:14 PM

Yeah and -
Old 07-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the tips. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions. I'm just getting started. I'll have to pace myself and do as much as I can on the cheap. I bought the truck for the longevity of the engine and to pull our 31' travel trailer. I don't think I'll be racing it. Just trying to get more power and better gas mileage.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Check your local laws, and talk to a trusted mechanic first... many areas that have inspections will NOT pass you without a muffler. Of course they will work on your vehicle... they are making money. Doen't mean that come state po-po time you aint gonna get a ticket.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMang07 View Post
Check your local laws, and talk to a trusted mechanic first... many areas that have inspections will NOT pass you without a muffler. Of course they will work on your vehicle... they are making money. Doen't mean that come state po-po time you aint gonna get a ticket.

lol im in kommiefornia with a straight pipe, lots of straight piped 7.3's here. we're rebels..
Old 07-11-2011, 05:25 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietoremain View Post
lol im in kommiefornia with a straight pipe, lots of straight piped 7.3's here. we're rebels..
Read my responce:

The key is a "trusted" mechanic.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:48 AM

I have my exhaust dumped out right in front of the tire too. The only thing I dont like is never being able to keep that wheel clean. Speeds up the pitting too
Old 07-11-2011, 08:25 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
My 6.0 is stright through via MBRP turbo back. I am more than likely buying a 99.5 7.3 tonight. If I do get it (about 90% sure I will), I will be routing the exhaust right before the tire.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Still haven't cut the pipe yet. The "Trusted" mechanic also does the safety inspections here, said he would cut it and run it to the side for $150, seems kind of high for something so simple. At what point would I need to go to a 4" exhaust. The biggest thing I tow is a 31' travel trailer that weighs less than 9000lbs. After the DIY Tymar and the exhaust I'll probably chip it. Any recommendations on the chip?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.