Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Anyone with a good understanding of the A/C system?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  BigBlueDually 
#1 ·
Not sure what's going on with the a/c system. It won't cool down at idle, but cools fine after I start driving it. It seems to randomly cut off and blow vent air while I drive it, but seems to stay on majority of the time if I keep my speed around 72. If it does cut off all I have to do is downshift and get the RPM's up and it starts blowing cold again. There's plenty of freon (sp?) and had someone else look at it and said the clutch in the compressor was still good. Any ideas or extra info needed for ya'll to help? Thanks in advance!

Chris

#3 ·
my a/c does the same thing but at an idle it blows cold air and when I am moving it will shut off.

Im ganna try the air gap thing on the post above

#4 ·
Sounds like the compressor is tripping off on either low or high pressure. It could be caused by a number of things, I would get a mechanic that knows what they are doing to look at it.

#5 ·
If it was me, I would check for a loose wire connection on the clutch. Then I would check the refrigerant charge. If the system is low on charge, it will frost the low side of the system and trip the low pressure switch. If the high pressure switch is tripping, then you probably have a plugged up condenser.

What pressures are you seeing on the system as it runs?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.