Dif is shot, options? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dif is shot, options?

Ok, had a clunking noise, sent it to a shop, dif is shot. Teeth broken off of gears, shop guy said it ate up the carrier unit. When i asked him if he ment the limited slip unit, he said yeah. so yall can interpret that.

Here's what I'm wondering and what I'm considering.

replace internals. will I need all new bearings? will I just need the ring and pinion if I'm ok with it being an open dif?

replace with a used axle. im not to sure on this... what if i get catastrophic failure again? what are the pro's and con's of this?

replace with a 11.25 rear. Is the dually rear that much stronger than the srw rear? is it the same width from hub mount to hub mount? can I use my axle shafts and hubs and all the stuff off of my 10.50 rear? what other modifications would i need? would the yolks and u joints match up? could I use a dually yolk set if they didnt or are the driveshaft bigger?

I don't know what I could have dont to prevent this... it was fine one day, then done the next. Sucks I just bought the truck too, havent even made the first payment

What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Personally, I would go to a junkyard and pick up a new one. Just be sure to crack the pumpkin there and inspect it. (Most won't take returns.)

If you have the tools/knowledge how to rebuild it, that wouldn't be too bad, but I bet it would cost an arm and a leg to pay a shop to do it.

Chitty luck man.... good luck either way. Was that the clunk you were refering to?
Old 07-06-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMang07 View Post
Personally, I would go to a junkyard and pick up a new one. Just be sure to crack the pumpkin there and inspect it. (Most won't take returns.)

If you have the tools/knowledge how to rebuild it, that wouldn't be too bad, but I bet it would cost an arm and a leg to pay a shop to do it.

Chitty luck man.... good luck either way. Was that the clunk you were refering to?
Yeah, tooth broke off and tore it up. You think I should go with a 10.5 replacement or a 11.25 replacement? I don't want this chit to break again. I'm probably gonna have a shop do it just so I don't have to be liable for it.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo444 View Post
Yeah, tooth broke off and tore it up. You think I should go with a 10.5 replacement or a 11.25 replacement? I don't want this chit to break again. I'm probably gonna have a shop do it just so I don't have to be liable for it.
I'd just get another 10.5, why go through the hastle of the upgrade when the end result is pretty much the same, haven't heard of the pumpkins goin bad on these things too often. I know there was a couple of them at the junk yard where I picked up my leaf springs.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I'd just get another 10.5, why go through the hastle of the upgrade when the end result is pretty much the same, haven't heard of the pumpkins goin bad on these things too often. I know there was a couple of them at the junk yard where I picked up my leaf springs.
One of the one's through that car-part.com I showed ya? And that what I was thinking. Actually I had NEVER heard of it happening before my truck gave up the ghost back there.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo444 View Post
One of the one's through that car-part.com I showed ya? And that what I was thinking. Actually I had NEVER heard of it happening before my truck gave up the ghost back there.
Yes sir!

Share that link whenever possible, too! Thanks again!

And as far as a Diff blowing up... pleanty on Chevy's Dodges, but this is the first time I have "seen" it on a Ford.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Yes sir!

Share that link whenever possible, too! Thanks again!

And as far as a Diff blowing up... pleanty on Chevy's Dodges, but this is the first time I have "seen" it on a Ford.
You're welcome!

I do as often as possible, it's a great resource!

I don't know why that is... we tend to use the "same" parts, Ford must always use the better quality ones though. Just like the Ford zf6 is 100x better than the chebby zf6.... lol
Old 07-06-2011, 03:21 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Id go with a posi if I was you. Its a pain in the *** having to lock her in to go somewhere you should be able to go in 2wd.

I know when I get the money together then I will be changing my dually over to a posi. We get a dusting of snow and I can get out of my driveway...
Old 07-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
These things dont go out that easy. I would just find a stock replacement be it from a doner truck or a pull a part.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnot View Post
Id go with a posi if I was you. Its a pain in the *** having to lock her in to go somewhere you should be able to go in 2wd.

I know when I get the money together then I will be changing my dually over to a posi. We get a dusting of snow and I can get out of my driveway...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Rønning View Post
These things dont go out that easy. I would just find a stock replacement be it from a doner truck or a pull a part.
Got a LSD, from an 80k mile 1 ton that didnt even have a hitch on it. hopefully this swap goes off without a hitch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.