Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

another whicked wheel question

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  ToMang07 
#1 ·
so i watched the video on installing the whicked wheel, and in the video he uses and impact gun to tighten the turbo down, and he says that it will over come the exhaust side and allow you tighten it. my question is how do you tighten it down if you arent using an impact gun?

#2 ·
Torque wrench?

#3 ·
i know a torque wrench. but doesnt the compressor wheel just spin? can i hold the other side of it and torque it down?

#4 ·
I had the turbo out and the exhaust outlet off, so I just grabbed the spindle with vice-grips and took it off with a socket, and used the torque wrench to put the new one on.

I have heard people report unhooking the down pipe and sticking a screwdriver in the turbine to keep it from spinning, (for in-truck instal) but I personally would NOT recommend doing that.... don't want to damage the fins or anything. :doh:

#5 ·
i dont want to stick a screw driver in there either. is it possible to grab and hold with my hand?

#7 ·
find a buddy with an impact??

#8 ·
so i bought a cordless impact, and am going to try hopefully put the whicked wheel in this weekend.
one more question though....when i put the whicked wheel on and am tightening it how do i know it is tight enough if? will it just keep spinning?

#9 ·
Don't need torqued down much, just a little past snug. If it clears the housing it'll spin itself tight due to the direction of the threads.

#10 ·
i have also heard that you need to use a 1/2in gun to spin it on and off. is that true? or will a 3/8 work fine?

#11 ·
Took like 5 quick blasts with the cheap 3/8" impact I have. Just make sure your air compressor just reached full pressure, crank up the gun pressure and give it a few quick bumps. If mine worked, almost anyone's should.

#12 ·
I have a cordless impact. Hopefully it will work

#13 ·
I used a screwdriver. Mine wasn't that tight and it had been on for 280k, but its all in your best judgement, if you think your putting to much force on it, then stop. I personally don't like the impact method because you are spinning the turbo (a good bit at that) with out any oil pressure.

And no, you can't reach the fins with your hands, the EBPV is in the way.

#14 ·
i tried my very nice milwaukee heavy duty cordless impact and was a NO GO! so you might as well pull the turbo, or find a air impact!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.