Coolant leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 12:16 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant leak

Hey all Happy 4th to everyone. I have a 00 EX with a coolant leak. I do know where the leak is occurring, however I am stumped on how to stop it. Let me explain. Where the lower radiator hose connects to the engine there is a gray flange with a short pipe that you clamp the lower hose to. The leak is occurring where the flange meets the engine block. The flange has two bolts that connect to the block. When I pulled it off all that it had was a big o ring that hugs the flange pipe and supposedly seals between the engine block and flange. Does anyone have any ideas where I would get a new o ring like this? I have checked auto zone, Napa and no luck. Do I need to add some rtv sealant along with the o ring to get a proper seal or is the o ring all I need? Thanks again for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzman77 View Post
Hey all Happy 4th to everyone. I have a 00 EX with a coolant leak. I do know where the leak is occurring, however I am stumped on how to stop it. Let me explain. Where the lower radiator hose connects to the engine there is a gray flange with a short pipe that you clamp the lower hose to. The leak is occurring where the flange meets the engine block. The flange has two bolts that connect to the block. When I pulled it off all that it had was a big o ring that hugs the flange pipe and supposedly seals between the engine block and flange. Does anyone have any ideas where I would get a new o ring like this? I have checked auto zone, Napa and no luck. Do I need to add some rtv sealant along with the o ring to get a proper seal or is the o ring all I need? Thanks again for your help!
I was thinking that that the lower hose connected directly to the bottom of the water pump. Can you post a pic.?
Old 07-04-2011, 01:10 PM

I have a picture but i am not quite sure how to post it on here.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
I have a picture but i am not quite sure how to post it on here.
Go to photobucket and create an account. Load the pic. to photobucket and the copy the "IMG" code and then paste it on here.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:29 PM

re

Thanks for that I learned something new today! Here is the link:

Pictures by kzman77 - Photobucket

Its the greyish pipe below the power steering pump pulley its kind of dark sorry I dont have a flash on my phone.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:30 PM

actually there is the photo link
Old 07-04-2011, 01:32 PM

re

Yeah you were right it is the water pump. Do i have to replace the whole unit to fix that leaking area? I hope not
Old 07-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

The water pump on there is after market, that is why it has that piece. I don't know if you can get just an o-ring. You could use a good RTV sealant but I would suggest replacing the pump with an original style to eliminate that piece. Also, if you replace the pump I would replace the triangular flange where the upper hoses connects because they warp and seem to leak when reinstalled onto a new pump.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:45 PM

Thanks Dhanna6 for your help I do appreciate your help and hope you have a Great 4th. How tough is it to replace the water pump?
Old 07-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
Thanks Dhanna6 for your help I do appreciate your help and hope you have a Great 4th. How tough is it to replace the water pump?
It's really not that bad. Hardest part usually is getting the fan off. Easiest way to get it off is to use an air hammer with a wide whisel bit. Put the bit on the edge of the nut and hit the trigger once and it will usually break it loose. Then you can remove the belt and just spin the fan off. Reinstall the fan the same way. Spin it on by hand and then use the bit to tighten it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.