2WD Boat launching. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
2WD Boat launching.

Has anyone launched and pulled a boat out with a 2wd? I'm looking at buying a boat just don't know how big i can go. Been looking at a 24'pontoon, or a 21' cuddy cabin boat. Let me know what your input is. I have a reg cab, long bed, 2wd. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ex cab short bed 02 2wd i tow a 23ft seacraft. launch and recovery no problem.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:03 PM

depends more on the angle/slope of the ramp, when my wife and I fished tournaments you would see all types of vehicles launching pontoons, deckboats, or even cuddy cabins, but the vans and 2wd trucks would always use the ramp that had the flattest slope and they did not have a problem. Since you brought it up, watching the boat ramps on holiday weekends you will see some of the funniest things ever. When they pull into the ramp you know immediately if they have ever launched before or not!!
Old 07-02-2011, 02:31 PM

A lot of it depends on the trailer... A longer trailer will leave more of your truck out of the water. I used to tow my boat with a 2wd F-150 and never had any issues, even on a gravel ramp where I really had to dunk the truck. You just have to be careful not to spin the tires, thats when things go bad.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:21 PM

It will depend on the ramps. We launch a 21 foot boat every weekend and I've yet to put my truck in 4 wheel drive. The ramp is brushed concrete and have never spun a tire. This spring we used my truck to launch 4 other pontoons ranging from 18 - 24 feet and didn't spin on any of them. You should be fine unless you find a rare dirt ramp. Most public launch sites are concrete around here.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Now I'm Strokin6.4Liters

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
You will be fine. I've seen a 1994 2wd toyota 4cyl pickup launch and then pull out a 24' pontoon. They had to put a couple guys in the bed for traction but it did it. Needless to say a superduty is a little heavier and shouldn't have any problems
Old 07-03-2011, 06:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

There really is only one place you will have trouble. And that is a lake homeowners ramp. Which could (but I doubt it) be an example of a seldom used ramp. So if you ever venture to a friends lakefront ramp beware. Lakeowners usually have docks with hoists and separate mini docks for PWC so they only use the ramp for troubleshooting, input/ouyput at the beginnin/end of the season, or to have a friend bring their boat over for the day or the weekend...such as this weekend. When I first bought my lakefront property I learned the hard way. My friend was loading his Mastercraft with a 2WRD and had to get the tires wet in order to load. On seldom used ramps such as this at the top of the water line and for 3 feet into the lake the ramp has a scum line from non-usage. He got into it and set his e-brake, got out to guide the boat and the rig began slipping into the lake. His rear axle was submerged. I had to extract the combination with my F250 4WD. So most people will not encounter such a situation but just for everyone's benefit there you go.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:38 AM

Thanks for the help everybody! Makes me feel a little better.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:16 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post
depends more on the angle/slope of the ramp, when my wife and I fished tournaments you would see all types of vehicles launching pontoons, deckboats, or even cuddy cabins, but the vans and 2wd trucks would always use the ramp that had the flattest slope and they did not have a problem. Since you brought it up, watching the boat ramps on holiday weekends you will see some of the funniest things ever. When they pull into the ramp you know immediately if they have ever launched before or not!!
It really depends on the ramp. If it is a good one and not too steep, no problem. It it's steep.... or lots of mud/sand...... could have issues. My dad got a (2wd) E-350 stuck because he went too far back launching his 12' row-boat w/ 5hp Evinrude. Happy Father's Day Dad!
Old 07-03-2011, 08:52 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
yeah, you want a longer neck trailer to keep tires out of the water. when we pulled our baja(21 ft) it put the tires of my truck in the water. our reg cab trucks did fine, if you went easy and dont give it a chance to break loose you wont have problems. my dads always does better because he has tools in the toolboxes over the rear wheels and my toolbox by the cab just has jumper cables, straps, few wrenches and hand tools. my truck is really light at the back end. i usually put the 12 or 16" track hoe bucket in the back for the winter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.