Fuel Additive / Daily Driver Conditions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Additive / Daily Driver Conditions

Got a 2002 F250 with only 65K miles and I'm definitely loving it. This is my first diesel tho so much to learn and i've been learning a lot right here. Have a few hot questions for right now.......

Bought this truck for camping and pulling all over the mtns of colorado, but during the week I'm driving it a whopping 14 miles (round trip) to work and back. Is the daily work commute going to kill my truck? Or do the weekend runs offset that? I know this somewhat puts me in the "severe conditions" category and i have to change oil sooner. But I do take a route with less stop lights that let's me get up to 50-55 for prolly a good 8 to 10 of that 14 mile round trip.

Fuel Additive - Should I be putting anything in when I fill up right now? I know I do in the winter for gelling, but what about summer? If so, what brand do you recommend and every tank or every other tank for summer?

Winter - Unfortunately i don't have easy access to plug in the truck this winter. Worst case, i could probably run a 100 ft extension cord down from my condo to the truck but that's a pain in the *** just to get to work in the morning. I've read some on winter operation here, but wondering if I just let it warm up for 10-15 mins, will i be good to go? Again, driving 7 miles to work, but this is colorado and our winter temps aren't like the midwest where i grew up.

Believe me, i'm trying to get a little commuter car for work but i have to do what i have to do. My other half is on the verge of splitsville so there goes the other vehicle, so i'd like to keep the truck for one, but also take as good a care as i possibly can considering the situation.

Thanks much
D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 10:52 AM

I run Diesel Kleen in the gray bottle. The white bottle is the anti-gel stuff for winter months, run that probably November-ish to march-ish(dependent on temps, obviously). The orange bottle of diesel 911 is great to keep on hand as well, just in case. Alot of people talk about Stanadyne, I have never used it and don't know where to get it, but you must run something, even 2 stroke oil. Helps keep things lubed up with the ULSD fuel we have now. As far as plugging it in, it is nice, but not necessary. That is assuming of course, all your glow plugs work. I only plugged in about 50% of time this winter(bought truck in January), basically when it got to single digits or lower I'd plug it in.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I also run the gray bottle of Diesel Kleen through every so often, helps keep things in good working order. As far as winter, if you're not having trouble starting unplugged you will be ok, just let it idle for a minute or so on those really cold mornings before you get going. I've been down to 0f unplugged and had no problems after I installed new injector o-rings, glow plugs, and a new relay. Look into the Stancor relay mod, and consider running a full synthetic 5w40 oil such as Rotella T6 or Mobil 1 TDT (any will do great, but those seem to to the most popular because they don't break the bank and have great UOA's).
Old 07-04-2011, 07:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I started with the Diesel Kleen, and I didn't have any problems with it but i found a handy chart where a guy did some testing and found this (Diesel Fuel Improver) to be better and cheaper per tank, i've done a few tanks with it now and been getting constant 18-19mpg.

Couldn't find the chart image anywhere but i found a forum discussion about it.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=177728

Last edited by Smarty; 07-04-2011 at 07:32 AM. Reason: adding link!
Old 07-04-2011, 08:44 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You really don't NEED to run any additives in your fuel. I tried running the PowerService for awhile, didn't notice any changes, at all. Switched to 2 stroke oil, and that's been great for me. It's the only thing I put in my fuel, even in the winter.

Your short drive isn't the greatest, but it isn't as bad as others. Just don't hammer on it while it's cold, and don't expect to get great mileage either.

For the winter time, you will want to make sure that your glow plug system is operating correctly, and switching to a synthetic 5w40 oil will help greatly also.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

http://www.natbiogroup.com/docs/educ...%20results.pdf

Found a better link with more detail. Explains the reason a fuel addative is good for your motor.

"The U.S. standard for diesel fuel says a commercially available diesel fuel should produce a wear scar of no greater than 520 microns. The Engine Manufacturers Association had requested a standard of a wear scar no greater than 460 microns, typical of the pre-ULSD fuels. Most experts agree that a 520 micron standard is adequate, but also that the lower the wear scar the better."

So going on that i got

4)Opti-Lube Summer Blend
Multi-purpose
demulsifier
HFRR 447, 189 micron improvement
3000:1 ratio
1.11 oz/tank
$0.68/tank

Was the cheapest per tank, and got the fuel lubricity to a level accepted by the engine manufactures assocation recommendation.
Also, after calling and contacting the company i decided on getting the gallon size. They atleast claim the addative does not "expire" if kept in a cool place so save some money and get the big one (don't bother with the pumps and stuff either just get the gallon jug and pour the stuff yourself haha)

Last edited by Smarty; 07-04-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
In the winter time you really NEED to run some sort of an anti-gel if you live in a cold area.

I ran Power Service (White Bottle- "Artic Formula") all winter with no issues. Just make sure your glow plugs/relay is good and batteries are good and you will have no problems starting all winter. I cold started as low as -25*F without plugging in, cranked over a couple times, but she started every time.

I am currently running the "summer" Power Service (Grey Bottle) and JUST started using 2-cycle oil (Ashless, big jug at Walmart for $12) and I am happy with the results so far.

I highly recommend using some sort of additive with the older diesels, because they were tuned for Low-Sulfur Diesel,(LSD) NOT Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel. The ULSD has even less lubricants in it, and IMHO it is definitely a very good idea to run something to make up for whats missing in the fuel.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:40 AM

i started running 2cycle oil and it really smoothed out my truck, its alot quieter also
Old 07-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

holy heck this is great information! seriously, i have just learned a heck of a lot more.

sounds like on top of the fuel additive or 2 stroke oil, i should look further in to that stancor relay mod. especially since the truck is going to be stuck outside all winter. i read up on the guzzle "how to" as well. that looks like a quick and inexpensive mod that gives great results from what i'm seeing.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:42 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.