4r100 trans question knock? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
4r100 trans question knock?

I have an at idle, knocking sound. I can rev the motor to 2k rpms and its not weorse(actually quieter) I dont think its a piston. It sounded like possible transmission to me, because thats where the noise seems to be the loudest. Anyway,I pulled my motor and brought it to scott at trucks unlimited. We found nothing wrong with it. We ringed and put new bearngs in it. I put it back in. Motor runs well but knocking is still there.
Whats moving in the trans at idle and in park? Just the pump moving?
its a wrather loud knock, i was just under the truck it really sounds like front of the transmission tc area to me. whats there? I didinstall a new flex plate, and a new tc from ford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2011, 03:33 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to dusted4eva
Sometimes the 7.3's can suffer from an injector 'cackle' on the #8 injector.. (left/drivers side rear injector) that at low engine RPM's can create what sounds like a knocking rod.. Also, the 4R100 in 99 had some problems with the torque converter clutch 'rattling' which may be more like a chatter as you describe, but is usually easily heard from along side/under the truck..
Old 06-30-2011, 03:50 PM

thx, its the 01 making the noise. I have upped the fuel pressure with the hi pressure spring, done the intank mods, undeadended the fuel at the heads and intalled a new AE injector.
Theres no doubt in my mind something is broke. I would bet my right arm on it. I just dont know what. We just wen thru the motor, something this loud would of been hard to miss in the form of a wrist pin or something, scott"trucks unlimited" is very good too, he did not see anything. I realize he's human, so its possible its still in the motor but i think trans and have hought it all along. I had the tc rattling when i bought the truck and replaced it with an ebay tc. The rattle stopped but around that time the knock started.
I figured junk ebay tc. I bought a ford tc and replaced the flex plate too. Maybe i did not get the splines lined up all the way? The fist time i installed the tc? I never forced anything but you never know. I was always able to moce the tc a little back and forth before i tightened the bolts. But it barely went back at all. If i remove all the tc bolts now, i cant realy slide the tc back. But its not bound up.
Are the pump gears movin whil in park? I assume so, that could mean a broken part in the pump?
Old 06-30-2011, 04:38 PM

if anyone knows at least whats moving inside the trans when in park?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.