Can I unhook the wastegate? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can I unhook the wastegate?

I recently heard that you can unhook the wastegate and allow the stock turbo to build more boost. So I tried it and it works instead of maxing out at 14-15 psi it will build to 20 psi but that is when I let off not sure how high it will go but that was at 3000 rpms. I was wondering if this will do any damage to engine or turbo if left this way as long as I don't go over 20 psi. It seems to run smoother and have more power unhooked but maybe that is just my imagination. Will the computer throw a code if left unhooked I plugged the line and capped the actuator for the wastegate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 01:42 PM

good question, mine is unhooked. It has more power without a doubt. It will throw a code by the way and trigger the SES light. I'm not certain its a problem though
Old 06-23-2011, 02:28 PM

have had the wastegate unhooked on my yellow truck for about 3 years... no issues so far. Waiting to unhook the one on the red truck untill I have my gauges in, want to see the diffrence it makes.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:38 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
This is a diesel, not a gas. More boost doesn't make more power, it allows you to run more fuel, which makes power. Clear as mud?
Old 06-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

More boost doesn't make more power in a gasser either without more fuel. And I was wondering the same about disconnecting the wastegate I would think it would lower egt's and get rid of some smoke.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:38 AM

Adding more air to a relatively stock gas engine will increase power. The ecm will increase the amount of fuel injected to achieve an optimum air/fuel ratio as measured by the 02 sensor(s). In a diesel, adding air will make no difference, as more fuel will not be added. There is no reason to disconnect the wastegate on a relatively stock truck. The only way it would be beneficial is if you have excessive smoke at max boost, or if the wastegate spring/diaphram was weak/damaged, as adding additional air will result in more complete combustion. If you install a chip or tuner you will make more boost as a result of the additional fueling, unhooking the wastegate isn't necessary. If you still feel the need to do so, shorten the wategate actuator by tightening the rod. That will put more preload on the wastegate and make it open at a higher pressure.

If you take one thing away from my rant, be it this. If you want boost, ad more fuel. Disconnecting your wastegate is a waste of time.

Last edited by dazdillenger; 06-27-2011 at 01:55 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:02 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

you can unhook it though and not cause problems. the truck will automatically defuel itself at 22psi I think unless you get a boost fooler. But, with a stock truck you wont make much more than 20 PSI. you want gauges when you do this to monitor EGTS and boost pressure.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:10 AM

Yes, you can unhook it. I'm just trying to understand why you'd want to do it? More boost doesn't make power.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:48 AM

More boost = more dense air, more oxegen, more power... not as much as when you add more fuel also, but if you are compressing the air to 20 psi, over the stock, wastegate controled 15-17 psi, there should be more power coming from the combustion process... Right?

However, I do agree... on a stock truck, it's not going to make a real noticeable diffrence. Add gauges, DIY intake, straight pipe the exhaust, and a DP tuner, and you'll be amazed!
Old 06-27-2011, 11:32 AM

A gasoline has a throttle valve in the intake-it is more critical to get air, and have an ideal air/fuel mixture. Air is important to a diesel as well, but as the intake is free flowing, without restriction, It no longer becomes the limiting factor. It is able to get as much air as it needs for the stock fuel. Increasing the pressure isn't necessarily a good thing if the engine is already burning the fuel completely. The reason you don't make more boost? You don't need it. The only point in adding more boost is to allow for you to burn more fuel, which at stock power levels you don't have. Compressing air via a turbocharger makes it hotter than the ambient air. The more you compress it, the hotter it gets. There is an optimum fuel/air ratio. The only time adding more air is a good thing is if your engine requires it-as in belching black smoke because at that point the amount of fuel injected exceeds the amount of air supplied/required to burn it.

I guess if you want to feel cool because your gauge reads higher than stock, go for it. Or hang out with the honda civic crowd. They think 25 psi of boost is "Da bomb yo". Boost is a measure of restriction in the intake. Ad all the hot air you can, push your turbo outside of its efficiency range, and increase your drive pressure. By all means. You can let all the air out of your tires and drive around too-does that mean you should?

(this is not a personal attack on anyone in particular. Unhook the wastegate if you like, I'm just pointing out it is not beneficial, and can actually be detrimental)

Last edited by dazdillenger; 06-27-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.