best oil? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
best oil?

i just bought my 00 f250 and it needs a oil change this is my first powerstroke and i have no idea what the best oil is, ive always use royal purple on all my gas trucks! and i can tell you this stuff is great! keeps my motor sooo clean! but ive heard that its not very good for diesels what do you guys think?
should i start putting purple in my powerstroke??
(300k motor)
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 07:15 PM

Well, here is my vote - I say you go for 5-40 rotella synthetic oil. You can get it at wal mart for 20 bucks a gallon, and you need 4 gallons. In the same isle, buy a motorcraft filter.

Change oil every 5k with synthetic rotella and your truck will be happy and super clean. Oil analysis always comes back great with the rotella, saying I could go much longer between intervals.

Lots of opinions here, but I say save some money and go with the good stuff.

I used to put RP in my dirt bike, my truck... not really a fan.

Scott
Old 06-21-2011, 07:31 PM

silveradobeast-----I was just in the same boat as you, I am a new 02' F250owner and researched about the same question you ask. Most of my findings were just as Scotty tells, Rotella Syn (T6 in blug jug think it was) and Motorcraft filter is what I did. Good luck!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
RP sux, it doesn't hold it's viscosity.

If you want dino: Go Delvac.

Cheaper Synthetic: Rotella T6

Best IMHO is AMSOIL.

I'm running Amsoil at 10k intervals right now.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:48 PM

I'm a big fan of T6 Rotella, can't beat it for the price. Mobil 1 TDT is also great full synthetic, and Schaeffer's Supreme 7000 15w-40 semi-synthetic is another great oil. Of course, Delvac, Rotella T, and Delo are going to be just fine in your truck too. I would also stay away from RP, I've used it before and given it a few chances and just wasn't impressed with the UOA's it produced.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If you switch over from dino to synthetic oil is there any truth that the synthetic will clean the gunk out of your engine. Probably a dumb question, but if this is true, do you need to change the oil filter more often during the switch over so it doesn't get clogged up and perhaps stop working? Such as perhaps every 1000 miles during the first oil change ? I bought my 01 with over 140k miles and my guess is it's never had synthetic oil in it ... and I would like to make the switch. Using a 5-40w sounds like a good idea and would sure help the winter starting here in South Dakota....
Old 06-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just make sure that whatever oil you use that it has a CJ4 rating.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHghCity View Post
If you switch over from dino to synthetic oil is there any truth that the synthetic will clean the gunk out of your engine. Probably a dumb question, but if this is true, do you need to change the oil filter more often during the switch over so it doesn't get clogged up and perhaps stop working? Such as perhaps every 1000 miles during the first oil change ? I bought my 01 with over 140k miles and my guess is it's never had synthetic oil in it ... and I would like to make the switch. Using a 5-40w sounds like a good idea and would sure help the winter starting here in South Dakota....
I've never heard of that as a practice, I switched to synthetic when I got my truck and it had 109k - no issues first oil change.
You won't have any trouble switching and your truck will LOVE it come winter time. My truck used to 'romp' when it was really cold out on the 15-40, but starts right up, no romp when cold when running 5-40. Your truck will run smoother, quieter... maybe slightly more mpg... can't go wrong, you will love it.

Scott
Scott
Old 06-22-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyP5947 View Post
I've never heard of that as a practice, I switched to synthetic when I got my truck and it had 109k - no issues first oil change.
You won't have any trouble switching and your truck will LOVE it come winter time. My truck used to 'romp' when it was really cold out on the 15-40, but starts right up, no romp when cold when running 5-40. Your truck will run smoother, quieter... maybe slightly more mpg... can't go wrong, you will love it.

Scott
Scott
Aye, 5w40 synthetic (T6 for me) is really great in the winter. I had mine parked for 4 days over Christmas, outdoors and unplugged, with high temps around 15*f and lows around 0*f and when I went to fire it up you couldn't even tell it had been sitting out in the cold. If it wasn't double the price of regular Rotella 15w40 I'd use it all year round.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:11 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
rotella 5w40 syn

Last edited by Jarrod B; 06-24-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.