Truck quit on me today..NEED HELP!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 06:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Truck quit on me today..NEED HELP!!

I had this posted in Powerstroke problems but didnt get any help so im movin it over here

Ok so today i was hauling brush. I backed into the yard which is kinda rough so the truck was gettin knocked around a bit. So i shut the truck off and got out and everything, got in to leave and the truck wouldnt start. It will sit and turn over fine but just wont fire? So my buddy pulled me outta the yard and we came to the conclusion that the truck wasnt getting fuel. We climbed under the truck and turned on the switch and the fuel pump wasnt turning on so we figured it had to be the fuel pump.. but would a fuel pump really die that sudden?

After thinking it over i came to another conclusion. Could it be the crankshaft positioning sensor? To the best of my knowledge this sensor will cut off fuel to the motor when it goes bad (or rattled loose). Im going to replace the sensor tomorrow and see what happens but does anyone have any other ideas?

On a side note, if it is my fuel pump then im looking to upgrade. Does anyone have any input on a good aftermarket fuel pump?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 06:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had a CPS go out after some really rough running last year. That could do what you described.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:36 PM

When you are trying to start the truck, are you getting smoke out of the exhaust? If you are then it's getting fuel, if not, no fuel. If you are getting smoke/fuel then I bet it is the CPS, if not I bet it's the fuel pump. Although I am on my third pump and third or forth CPS and all went out traveling down the road. So the fact yours quite while sitting?? I don't know??
Old 06-17-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codum View Post
When you are trying to start the truck, are you getting smoke out of the exhaust? If you are then it's getting fuel, if not, no fuel. If you are getting smoke/fuel then I bet it is the CPS, if not I bet it's the fuel pump. Although I am on my third pump and third or forth CPS and all went out traveling down the road. So the fact yours quite while sitting?? I don't know??
No smoke out the exhaust and i unhooked the fuel pump yesterday and its workin fine? So i pulled the fuel filter ant turned the switch on and fuel poured out the fuel bowl. Its still not gettin fuel though? I called a local diesel shop that specializes in powerstrokes and they told me i needed to get in run on a computer so im gonna get it to them and see if anything comes up.

And whats the CPS?
Old 06-17-2011, 09:53 AM

Cam shaft position sensor. Cost about $15.00 to $20.00 from any parts store. I think fords are now $28.00. They had a recall on them about a year or two ago and replaced them all. Sounds like yours may have not been replaced. Takes about 5 minutes to replace. I would try this before I take it to a shop. This is probably your fix. It is located on the front of the engine under the crank shaft above the oil pan pasengers side. I think is 10mm nut. remove the bolt and pry it out with a flat head screw driver. push the new one in the hole as far as you can and tighten the bolt. Thighting the bolt will pull it up tight. Start your truck.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codum View Post
Cam shaft position sensor. Cost about $15.00 to $20.00 from any parts store. I think fords are now $28.00. They had a recall on them about a year or two ago and replaced them all. Sounds like yours may have not been replaced. Takes about 5 minutes to replace. I would try this before I take it to a shop. This is probably your fix. It is located on the front of the engine under the crank shaft above the oil pan pasengers side. I think is 10mm nut. remove the bolt and pry it out with a flat head screw driver. push the new one in the hole as far as you can and tighten the bolt. Thighting the bolt will pull it up tight. Start your truck.
i done tried that yesterday.. put a new one in and still nothin? I towed it to a mechanic today and he starts workin on it monday so i'll keep posted what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.