air bag light is on - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
air bag light is on

my air bag light was randomly coming on, and now it is on constantly. why is it doing this and what is the way to fix it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 08:53 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
That's like asking why your check engine light is on. No way to tell until after you have the codes read. (does your horn still work)?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:23 PM

i am not sure if my horn works or not. i didnt know i could pull a code for my air bag
Old 06-13-2011, 10:25 PM

You need a good scanner-auto enginuity, ford IDS-something that will see, and connect to the SRS system. If the horn and cruise control don't work, it could be the clockspring, but that is about the only common issue (occasionally the switch to turn the pass. bag off goes bad-try turning it OFF, then ON to see if there is a change)
Old 06-14-2011, 07:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

what is the clockspring? My airbag light is on and my horn and cruise control dont work. Sorry, didnt mean to hijack.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:47 AM

If I remember correctly on my e99 super duty, I was able to count the number of flashes and pauses of my airbag light which translated into a specific two digit code. I think my code was a 27 which means the light flashed 2 times then a short pause and then flashed 7 more times. I think it ended up repeating the flash sequence a few times before staying on solid. My problem ended up being a blown indicator bulb in the selector switch on the dash that turns on/off the passenger airbag. Converting your flashing light into a two digit code should be done first, as there are several codes for the airbag light. If you would happen to get a code 27, you can put your key in the ignition and turn it to the on position and see if the "Off" indicator ever lights up next to the passenger airbag selector switch on the dash. If it never lights up you probably need to replace the switch assembly or do like I did and remove the old bulb from the switch assembly and replace it with a 12V similar one from Radio Shack for cheap. Good luck.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluhbmet View Post
If I remember correctly on my e99 super duty, I was able to count the number of flashes and pauses of my airbag light which translated into a specific two digit code. I think my code was a 27 which means the light flashed 2 times then a short pause and then flashed 7 more times. I think it ended up repeating the flash sequence a few times before staying on solid. My problem ended up being a blown indicator bulb in the selector switch on the dash that turns on/off the passenger airbag. Converting your flashing light into a two digit code should be done first, as there are several codes for the airbag light. If you would happen to get a code 27, you can put your key in the ignition and turn it to the on position and see if the "Off" indicator ever lights up next to the passenger airbag selector switch on the dash. If it never lights up you probably need to replace the switch assembly or do like I did and remove the old bulb from the switch assembly and replace it with a 12V similar one from Radio Shack for cheap. Good luck.
My truck is giving me the same code. So do I need to pull the dash and replace the bulb?
Old 06-14-2011, 03:10 PM

the clockspring is a thin ribbon of wire that is wound inside your steering column. It allows the wheel to spin while still maintaining an electrical connection. If none of the controls on your wheel work, you definately need a clockspring. It is underneath the steering wheel, requires airbag and steering wheel removal.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:02 PM

@MarshallGirvin

If your airbag light is for sure flashing a code 27 and the "Off" indicator near the passenger airbag selector switch doesn't light up, at least momentarily when you turn your ignition to the "on" position, then you most likely have a blown bulb inside the selector switch. Replacing the bulb requires removing the switch assembly from the dash. I didn't want to spend $150-$200 to have the dealership install a new assembly, when all I needed was a 12V miniature bulb replaced. I desoldered the blown bulb from the circuit board inside the switch assembly and replaced it with a similar sized 12V bulb that I got from radioshack. I doubt I spent much over $2-$3 for the bulb. Some people are soldering an LED in place of the bulb because they will basically last forever, but some people say that there needs to be an additional resistor installed to make it work properly. It was gonna be more of a headache so I just put a cheap bulb in and make sure the pass. airbag is turned on always, unless a kid is in the front seat with me (which is never).
I've attached a writeup created by a member of the FTE forums. This is not my work, but hats off to the person who created it. Hope it helps you out.

sluhbmet
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Passenger Air Bad Deactivation Switch Repair.pdf (109.2 KB, 240 views)
Old 06-14-2011, 09:07 PM

my horn works just fine right now. i will check and watch to see if it flashes and go from there. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.