7.3 Newbie here and I must be crazy! LONG - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 Newbie here and I must be crazy! LONG

Hi all,
First post. I have been an SD owner for all of 3 days now so I wanted to say Hi and introduce myself as well as garner feedback from the group.
I have been a longtime boat owner as well as Ford truck owner. Up until this past Friday I was the original owner of a mint condition 2003 F-150 Heritage Edition 4x4 fully loaded with only 45,000 miles on it. The truck was showroom clean on the inside and out.

Last month I sold my small 17' Hurricane deck boat and picked up a larger and MUCH heavier 23' Cobalt deck boat. I pulled the new boat around a few times with the F-150 but I quickly became aware of the fact that this 5500 lb boat not counting fuel , gear or passengers was not going to be doing the F-150 any favors, not to mention the pitiful 6-7 mpg I was averaging towing, so I sought out in search of a "small" diesel truck to pck up to pull the boat around through the mountains with.

After reading hundreds of postings from this group as well as ither forums, I reached a quick conclusion that the best bet was to go with a 7.3 powered truck. I started off loking through CL, Autotrader, and some of the larger diesel dealers around the Central KY and S. Ohio areas looking for a decent deal on a 7.3. First and foremost I was astounded by the prices that I was coming across for these trucks when I was actually able to find one. In the past week, I had an 03 and an 02 sold out from under me. The 02 was actually picked up by an older couple that drove all the way down to Lexington from Cleveland and paid full asking price.

Anyway, I stumbled across an 01 F250 SD at a local truck and trailer dealership outside of town here that had an 01 SD short bed Lariat that the owner was using as his personal rig. Not wanting to lose out on another 7.3 I acted impulsively and accepted his deal with little to no dickering.

The 01 is a short bed, 4x4 Off Road auto Lariat with 127k on the clock, purrs like a kitten and has no visible rust witht the exception of the inside bottom of the tailgate which is surface. It has an old 3 mode Superchip tuner installed.

My F-150 4x4 was pristine, had only 45k on the clock and had been babied in every way.

When it came time to deal, the owner let me know that he was not going to move at all from his asking price of 16,750 as he could sell the truck at that price all day long due to the local demand for 7.3 trucks here. He presented me with a "decent" offer of 12k for my 03 F-150 and at the end of the day I ended up with an OTD price of 5500. Keep in mind that I traded in a 2 year newer, fully loaded special edition truck with 1/3 the mileage.

I am fairly certain that I got hosed on this deal, potentially quite badly, but I wanted to check with y'all and see if the market is that weak for F-150 Tritons (regardless of trim level) and that strong for the 7.3 trucks?

BTW, I absolutly LOVE the F-250 though. I have pulled the Cobalt back and forth to the lake twice this weekend and it doesnt even feel like the boat is even back there unless Im running up one of the larger, steep grade hills that damn near redlined my triton before. The tranny shifts a little harder than I am used to with my 5.4 but Im sure that I will get used to it in time.

I did change the oil and fuel filters yesterday using Mobil Delvac 15-40 and an off the shelf fuel filter from Auto Zone. Damn near bew the truck up as the fuel filter had a beveled edge as oposed to the flat gasket that was on there previously! Stock intake.

Anyway, just wanted to have a chance to introduce myself and give you all an opportunity to chime in and tell me how badly I got raked over the coals as I get nauseous in looking at KBB, Edmunds and NADA as it looks as though my F-150 was worth MORE than the F-250!

Look forward to leaning in to learn from you all going forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'll be honest, I had a 05 lariat f150 with 90k miles. I sold it for almost 3 grand LESS than I bought my 2003 xlt 7.3 with 160k miles.

The 7.3 is a very high demand truck and for whatever reason the F150 is a tough truck to sell these days. I chose to do private party because they (the dealership, or should I say stealership) would offer me no more than 10 grand for my trade.

You will like your 7.3, I'm on my second one. Keep up with the maintenance, there will be small issues that you'll have to take care of but it was built by man so it WILL have issues.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:34 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

1)

2) I don't think you got a bad deal. I don't think that 5.4 are worth that much (although it only had 45k on it.) 16 is definatly high but if its a solid truck then in the end you came out on top

3)It has a tuner but you said nothing about gauges, so I assume that it dosent have any, right? That would be my first thing to look at.

4) Obvoiusly next is mods right? Seriously though, a free flowing exhaust and an intake would really help out your truck up those hills. I would probably nix that superchips and upgrade to a custom tuned chip, either TW (Tony Wildman), PHP (Power Hugry Performance), or a DP tuner. Also maybe a 6.0 transmission cooler. These mods will make you rig a towing beast!!!!

Mabe that was a bit much to lay on someone all at once

Oh yeah, you have to post pics of the rig now, I think that is almost a rule
Old 06-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Old 06-13-2011, 07:30 PM

i don't think that is really a bad price. i gave about the same for my 99 a few years back. thinking back now i probably shouldnt have, but i fell in love and had to have it

but nonetheless, congrats on the purchase! and post some pics
Old 06-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Emergency Services

Some say it may be high but look at it this way, it fits the need that you had for a pulling vehicle. They are very reliable, and you only paid 5500 out of pocket for something that will last you 50 years at the rate you drive. If its in good shape then its a good deal in my book.

7.3s sell all day long with the same or more miles for around that price.

Oh and book values for trucks are all over the place...I would lok at them as more of a suggestion, true value is what you can get for it. In todays market kbb would say my truck might be worth 10k, I could list it and sell it for 15k+ no problem. So don't feel too bad about the values you looked up.

Last edited by HaysKSFirefighter; 06-13-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:12 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Coming from a former F-150 owner... congrats on the new truck. As you are well aware, the 7.3 market is very very strong, whereas the F-150 market (especially for a last year model like yours) is very weak, especially in today's high-ish fuel prices. The $16k you paid for your F-250 isn't a bad price, since 127K is relatively low mileage and if it is in good condition. I don't think you got hosed on the deal. If you browse Craigslist, you will see lots of F-150s listed thousands under KBB, but you won't see any clean 7.3s under KBB... they will all be over.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:11 PM

you will absolutely love your 7.3 the best motor ford ever put in a pickup truck take care of that 7.3 and it will take care of you for a really long time.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:10 AM

x2 on what Allen said.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:32 AM

congrats on your purchase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.