mpg loss - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 12:28 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
mpg loss

HI,

New to the site here.

Wanted any ideas on what to look for that causes mpg loss? I seem to have a two or more mpg loss with an otherwise normall running truck. The only thing i have noticed so far was i had leaking and dirty intercooler boots. I had that cleaned up and reinstalled by a local diesel place. They didnt seem to think the boots need to be replaced. And they did it for such a fair price that i didnt feel like doing it myself! Now its been to soon to tell if this will help the MPG.
The truck also passed a dyno smog check fine, so id like to think there is not some major motor issue?

Thanks in advance Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Leaky up-pipes, broken EBPV sensor tube, dirty fuel filter, poor fuel, etc.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

First, to the ORG! Glad to have you.

Second, MPG loss.
How long since you've change the fuel filter, oil/filter, checked your tire pressure?
Is it possible to have a brake caliper dragging?
Do you have gauges so you can see what boost you're making? If so, are you showing the same boost or any different?
Have you changed your driving style now that it's warming up in Nevada?
Done more city driving than usual?

Just throwing some things out.......
Old 06-13-2011, 04:43 PM

ideas

Thanks men for the quick replys. A bit more info. I first wrote the mpg drop off as winter fuel, and or buying from a new station. Or too much around town driving. But i just took my annual trip fishing to the same place,same gear and the same boat. And i did get the mpg drop. Now to go back over.
Had the intercooler boots cleaned and reinstalled. Changed fuel filter. It had about 16,500 since last change. A bit over the 15000 the manuel says. I didnt see anything horrible in there but not sure what to look for? Now have not driven the truck enough since these two changes to see if it helped. Checked my note book and its been about 4000 miles since last oil and filter change. About 7000 miles of highway driving since last air filter change. I have not looked at the filter to see if its dirty for awhile so i will go double check that. Will double check tire presure when i get home, but i usually keep them high. I dont know the best way to check for draging brakes? The truck will roll down a small drive way though ok. I did have a frozen or stuck parking brake during winter, but it seems ok now. I dont have any gauges to go by.

I did not seem to be able to get my signature to show my truck. But i have a stock 02 f250 7.3 6 speed 4x4. The mpg is normally very good so its easy to see when it fell off. Im thinking the very dirty intercooler boots were a factor but dont know yet.
Thanks Joe
Old 06-13-2011, 04:58 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

Was it your first tank since it warmed up? You could have been getting bad milage from the winter fuel, and now you just got a bad batch of fuel.

Maybe see what it is on a few tanks to see what it averages.

Probably the best way to check for a dragging wheel is to lift up the truck and see it the wheels turn difficult. Its difficult to tell on the rear sometimes if you have a limited slip.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I was noticing less power with my truck and a drop in fuel mileage of about 2mpg. I thought it was because I had inatalled larger tires. I switched my CPS back to the old black one as somebody had suggested on this website and now my power is back. The truck ran fine with the grey CPS just seemed down on power. I have yet to calculate the mileage.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:01 PM

mpg drop

Ok. Tire pressure looked pretty good at 65 front and about 70 rear. Air filter had some dirt but looked ok to me. Not plugged up like i have seen before on cars. Cps was changed about 3 years ago, milage was good with it so i dont think that is it. I am due for some brake work, so will look into the slide pin issues. I have not driven that much lately, so its possible i still have some bad fuel or winter fuel? It might be awhile before i take a long drive. Not using the truck very much right now. I will get some fuel at a differnt place to see if that help. I have wondered how much the fuel has to do with the mpg? My truck has seemed to allways run ok and have good mpg, i have a few different places i buy my fuel. Never noticed a problem until now. Thanks Joe

Last edited by renoduckman; 06-13-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.