p/s upipe bolts made easy - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
p/s upipe bolts made easy

ive posted this elsewhere but i figured it could be useful here too

when i was doing my up pipes i did a lot of looking around for an easy way to tighten them up . all i was finding was pull out your tranny or inner fender, or remove your downpipe. this is the way i did it, and i got it tightened in under 4 minutes. my pictures are kind of on wierd angles but youll get the idea.

theres a hole between the cab and the frame on the passenger side right behind the cab mount/leafspring shackle. this is where youll be looking through to see the bolt heads

now take a look at the rear of your passenger side inner fender and youll see some "steps" in the bottom of it above the frame rail. you can either take that bolt out and pull the fender back a bit, or cut off the bottom step. i just cut off the step

grab about 28" of 3/8 extensions, a 10mm shallow socket and a 3/8 ratchet. feed your extensions between the upipe itself and the downpipe and its a straight shot to each bolt head.

tighten them up and your done. hope this helps someone out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thats some good info thanks, do you have any ideas on how to get the up pipe bolts out if they are so rusted they broke and now the up pipes are leaking? If so PLEASE post them, mine are as described
Old 06-12-2011, 06:26 PM

I should have been more clear, the bolts that have rusted and broke are from the manifold to up pipe bolts, not the ones at the turbo, thanks for any ideas
Old 06-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

mine were rusted and stuck in aswell. what i did was got a small die grinder and cut each bolt so i could remove the upipes. then i got an air ratchet and spun it for a while to kind of hone the holes out as i tried prying back and forth and eventually got them out if that makes sense
Old 06-13-2011, 12:38 PM

Tag in case I ever need this for reference.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpasichnyk View Post
mine were rusted and stuck in aswell. what i did was got a small die grinder and cut each bolt so i could remove the upipes. then i got an air ratchet and spun it for a while to kind of hone the holes out as i tried prying back and forth and eventually got them out if that makes sense
Yea that makes sense, I'll have to try that soon. How much of a pain is it to remove the up pipes? How did you get the piece of the bolt out of the manifold? The head of my bolts look like crackhead teeth lol just a little nub lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.