Hypothetical Question: #2 Home Heating Oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Question Hypothetical Question: #2 Home Heating Oil

Before you comment, please read:
  • This is hypothetical.
  • I am NOT looking for a legal argument. I know/understand the law.
  • Simply looking for any factual differences between diesel/#2 Oil.
So.... IF someone were to use #2 for fuel, or blended with fuel, would there be any negative consequences? I can see where a filter would be greatly desired, but beyond filtration, is there any reason why you couldn't use it?

Last edited by ToMang07; 06-05-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My father was an oil furnace tech and he suggested about every 500 gallons to dump 5 or so of diesel (or kerosene) into our oil tank. He said it helps keep the systems clean.
As long as it is clean I do not see why it would not work for a truck.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by esuitt View Post
My father was an oil furnace tech and he suggested about every 500 gallons to dump 5 or so of diesel (or kerosene) into our oil tank. He said it helps keep the systems clean.
As long as it is clean I do not see why it would not work for a truck.
I ordered #2 the other day, and appearently in the summer they only deliver once a week, and I b!tched at them b/c that was BS.

Anywho, they stated to me "Just add diesel or kerosene, it will work the same." I know it does, because I have done it....

I know the delivery truck drivers are running #2 in ALL their tanks, too...
Old 06-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Running heating oil (i.e., untaxed fuel) in the fuel tank of a vehicle driven on a public highway will get you in deep doo doo with the authorities.

First of all, it has a red (or blue, in some states) tint or dye added at the distributor and it is EASILY detected by dipping a clear plastic tube into the tank and pulling it out. State troopers do this from time to time at roadside checkpoints in various states.

Second of all, it will mess up some of the newer computer-controlled engines or the ones that have a diesel particulate filter. An engine designed for ULSD is not going to take to well to the 'dirty stuff'.

The fine for using "untaxed" fuel is huge, since you would be violating two significant laws. The first one would pertain to the EPA and emissions. The untaxed fuels have higher sulfur content and don't burn as clean. There is also a tax evasion issue, since off-road fuel is not taxed. You can run it in a reefer unit, a generator, a bulldozer or in a marine (boat) engine, but NOT in the fuel tank of an on-highway vehicle.

Don't do it, sir!

Old 06-05-2011, 04:48 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

Sir I belive you neglected the second bullet by the OP

From my understanding they are basically the same thing, but I thienk it may be a higher sulfer.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:50 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK23112 View Post

Running heating oil (i.e., untaxed fuel) in the fuel tank of a vehicle driven on a public highway will get you in deep doo doo with the authorities.

First of all, it has a red (or blue, in some states) tint or dye added at the distributor and it is EASILY detected by dipping a clear plastic tube into the tank and pulling it out. State troopers do this from time to time at roadside checkpoints in various states.

Second of all, it will mess up some of the newer computer-controlled engines or the ones that have a diesel particulate filter. An engine designed for ULSD is not going to take to well to the 'dirty stuff'.

The fine for using "untaxed" fuel is huge, since you would be violating two significant laws. The first one would pertain to the EPA and emissions. The untaxed fuels have higher sulfur content and don't burn as clean. There is also a tax evasion issue, since off-road fuel is not taxed. You can run it in a reefer unit, a generator, a bulldozer or in a marine (boat) engine, but NOT in the fuel tank of an on-highway vehicle.

Don't do it, sir!

Knew it was only a matter of time before someone ignored the very first post. Just a little surprised it happened so quickly
Old 06-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
Knew it was only a matter of time before someone ignored the very first post. Just a little surprised it happened so quickly
Lol, seriously!
Old 06-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i know a dude that runs 50% burnt motor oil and 50% burnt transmission fluid... my guess is that they will run on anything except gasoline haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.