Off Topic Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Off Topic Help

I know this is the powerstroke forum but I have a question about my Caterpillar 3116ta motor on my boat, any help would be awesome maybe point me to a website like this one.

It won't start, the solenoid knocks, and there is power to everything the starter everything full juice but no start. It is like the starter will not kick in but all connections are good. We think it is the pony on top of the starter to engage the starter, not working.

I've been told it could be a hydro lock but the starter isn't even engaging. Also the starter turns freely we found that out by testing too. Any ideas would be great thanks so much. Sorry for posting here, but someone must have had a similar problem with a Cat motor.

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2011, 05:25 PM

If you remove the starter to check out the bendix, which is the gear on the end of the starter. Then you can use a pry bar or large screwdriver to pry the teeth on the flywheel to see if it is in fact hydro locked. Where is the boat?

Paul
Old 06-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

if everything is getting power as it should, but the starter doesn't turn. First thing to check, is to see that you have power at the "S" terminal on the starter, when the key is in the "start" position.

If you have power there, you should hear the solenoid click. If the solenoid clicks, and the starter still doesn't spin, then you have a bad set of contacts inside the starter solenoid. Usually the one on the positive cable terminal is the culprit.

When the starter is off the unit, if you apply power to the B+ terminal, and ground to the - terminal, then jump a wire to the "S" terminal from B+. It should throw the drive out, and start to spin. However, this is a no-load situation. It takes very little actual amperage to spin the starter this way.

Bad contacts can cause a no-spin when under load, because they simply cannot pass enough current to get the job done. Easy way to apply a slight load, is to clamp the starter in a vise, then while it is spinning, lever a block of wood against the pinion gear. That will tell the whole story.

Testing starter problems is pretty basic, it is not really brand specific, and also not really fun when they don't work.

Good luck
Old 06-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Okay I appreciate all your help everyone. It was indeed the starter it was rusty and frozen the gear would spin but would not come out to meet the flywheel. All set all fixed fires right up thanks everyone for the help. This forum is awesome thanks.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.