Won't start- gearshift suspected - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 09:54 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Won't start- gearshift suspected

Hey Guys,
Have a 2001 F350 PSD CCLB 4x4 Auto Lariat with 182k miles. Recently, I have had some trouble with the truck not starting. When I turn the key everything turns on like it suppose to and the wait to start light comes on. When I try to crank it, there is this click sound coming below the dash. I have now figured out that when I jiggle the gearshift right before I crank, it usually works. Is there some sort of safety switch in the gearshift that is beginning to malfunction? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
the transmission range sensor is located on the drivers side underneath the truck. It is bolted to the transmission. Before replacing it, put the parking brake on, put the truck in neutral. Go underneath the truck, and loosen the sensor. Once you loosen it, spin it until the 2 dots align. Once they do, tighten the sensor. Should be good to go.

You must do this in neutral, not park. The sensor has 2 bolts, and one large oval plug facing the front of the trans.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:14 AM

before all that instead of trying to start it in park go down to neutral and see if it starts. If it does start in neutral without jiggling the key then the gear selector arm bolts are probably loose and not letting the gear selector go all the way to park. The bolts are under the dash and the best way to get to them is put the back of your head on the brake pedal and look up to where it connects to steering column. There are 2 Torx bolts and Im willing to bet one or both is loose.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:11 AM

Hmm, sounds like two causes. Once the truck has cooled down I am going to look underneath the truck at the range sensor then check the column bots. Another suggestion was that the key was so worn it didn't activate the tumblers enough to start the truck. The key wasn't really bad but I used a different key anyway and so far so good.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:17 AM

if the tumblers were the problem the key would be a pain to turn at all. I had same problem and it was the 2 bolts at column but there are so many variables. Has your truck ever popped out of park?
Old 06-03-2011, 10:43 AM

No, but it has popped out of drive before.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:47 AM

How long ago? I think its your bolts and its going to get worse. Mine popped out of park twice and I didnt take it serious until the second time where it went down the road and took out 2 cement posts.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:06 PM

I just checked under the dash at those gearshift bolts. Wow! They were really loose. I tightened them up and the gearshift shifts a lot better. You mentioned that it is going to get worse. Do I need to replace the bolts?
Old 06-03-2011, 02:26 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
use some light duty locktite on them. Never worry again.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by werkenklasse View Post
I just checked under the dash at those gearshift bolts. Wow! They were really loose. I tightened them up and the gearshift shifts a lot better. You mentioned that it is going to get worse. Do I need to replace the bolts?
What I meant was if you didnt tighten them it would get worse like pop out of gear and park. Put locktite or check them every so often. Can I ask if the "put the back of your head on the brake pedal" reference was a good reference or no? Its the only way I can tell people so they dont have to search for those 2 little bolts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.