2000 F250 7.3, Wont start, will run w/ spray. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 02:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 F250 7.3, Wont start, will run w/ spray.

I have a 2000 ford f250 superduty which has a 7.3 powerstroke. Truck has about 330k miles, and has recently begun to give me a hard time to start, and now wont start at all. When it first started doing this i would get it to start by turning the key on and off and waiting for the "wait to start" light to turn off. I would repeat this 3, 5, and eventually even 10 times in order to get it to start. Towards the end it seemed as if i could not start it unless i repeated that cycles like 10-15 times. I thought it was glow plugs, and as they are cheap i replaced them without any issues. I did not replace harnesses, but did remove it with gaskets in order to clean connector areas. Ive put it all back together and now i cant get it to start at all. I have since uncovered valve covers and confirmed that everything (injector / GP's) is plugged in tight, and correct. Ive also checked HPOP oil level and verified it is nearly full. Ive checked all fuses and they are OK. No codes. Batteries good. Tach works fine. Im kinda stumped.

I have been able to get it to run for short whiles by spraying diesel starting spray down tube. I have been however using very little because i am wary of the stuff. It runs fine with a small spray, but will die out as soon as i stop spraying. I thus believe now that i have a fuel problem. Does that sound right to you guys? Where is fuel pressure checked?

One more thing, Since i live in california and weather is currently near the 70-80 degrees. Its safe to rule out glow plugs? Ive read they are not needed for startup if weather is warm.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Randy B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011, 02:53 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Just curious, does it have a block heater on it? If so try plugging it in for a few hours and then try starting it.

A 7.3 with good injectors will start up eventually in warm weather. But take a truck with 300,000 miles and original injectors, throw in the glow plugs not working, and you will still have some hard start issues.

Does it smoke at all while cranking? If it was just a glow plug issue it should be white smoking like crazy when you're cranking on it. If it's not it could be a fuel issue.

There is an allen head screw on the drivers side of the fuel bowl that you can remove to install a fuel pressure gauge. It's a goofy o-ring fitting though. Best thing to do is drain the fuel bowl, pull the fuel filter out, then get someone to turn on the key while you watch in the fuel bowl. It should fill up pretty quick when you turn the key on. If it's filling up the filter housing then it's probably not a fuel issue.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:55 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Also, have you made sure the glow plug relay is coming on? All you really need to test that is a test light. It has 2 large terminals and 2 smaller ones. One of the larger terminals is hooked up to constant 12V. The other side should become hot when you first turn the key on. Are you getting voltage on this terminal?
Old 06-01-2011, 07:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No, no block heater.

i have not noticed white smoke on cranking. I will go give it another try and lookout for smoke.

I did that already and the fuel bowl filled pretty quickly. I know fuel pump is working, i just haven't checked pressure readings.

i will check voltage with key on @ GPR.

Again... If it were glow plug related wouldnt it stay on once i sprayed it with starting fluid? Arent glow plugs only to get is started?

Any other suggestions?

Be back in couple hours.

Thanks.
Randy B.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

are both batteries good? one bad one in teh mix will really screw with things

also unplug the ICP and try to start. if the ICP is giving bad/no reading it wont start.

could maybe be the IDM as well. but after that find a buddy with Auto Enginuity. and/or get a compression test.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Both batteries are good.

Sorry, but what is ICP? Where is it located / what kinda of plug am i looking for?

IDM? lol.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update.

So i tried to test GPR. I got voltage at one big post. I turn key but the relay never clicks and voltage never reaches the other side. I tried to force ground on the small post with a jumper wire and was able to make it click. Voltage then went through to the other big post. I tried to hold it jumped for about 30 secs, then gave it another crank and nothing. It appears however that the ground signal which activates the solenoid is not reaching the solenoid.

What now?
Old 06-01-2011, 09:58 AM

Injection Pressure Control, its on the drivers head by cylinder 2 up top. unplug it and try to start it. the IDM is the Injector Driver Module. you should see some white smoke, without it, thats a clue your injectors arnet firing. i suppose its possible they are firing but no smoke appears. but not likely.

its possible your IPR (Injection Pressure Regulator) is sticky, that happens.

you may be on to something with a bad ground, that will cause problems.

when you checked the batteries did you check them separately? i had one bad cell in a battery last year that only showed up in a load test. mechanics were leavign the batteries connected whentehy tested them which dose little good. and when i tested them seperatly the tested good. took them in for a load test and one failed due to a dead cell. when a load was put on it, it went from delivering 14.1 volts to less than 10. really screwed with starting.

anyway, try the ICP thing, check your grounds and see if you can find someone with AE. your truck should start at that temp without glows.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I unplugged the icp and tried and nothing.

As far as the IDM goes, i will look into it. White smoke eh? I havent really oticed much smoke prehaps a little. Where is IDM located? Any tests i can run? Im pretty handy with a DVOM and test light.

So it safe to assume i have a fuel issue since it runs with spray?
Old 06-01-2011, 11:56 AM

fuel or compression issue. could also be electrical related to fuel...

where abouts you located? may be someone here near you willing to help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.