Thank Gawd for JiffyLube - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 09:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thank Gawd for JiffyLube

I never thought I'd ever be saying this, "Thank Gawd for JiffyLube." I took my new 99 F350 into JiffyLube for an oil change and during their gazillion point check process they discovered that the cover on the front differential was bent and appeared to be leaking oil. Not good, since I just bought the truck and it had previously been sitting for 3 years, dented cover and all. JiffyLube pumped in 3.2 quarts of gear lube into the differential. The rear differential tool 3.4 quarts.

So I went to Summit and bought a couple of cheap covers and a bunch of Lucas gear oil.

I have noticed a significant amount of oil underneath that differential. Not pouring out, but certainly enough to drain it dry over the 3 years the truck was sitting.

So while I was underneath the truck drilling and tapping a hole in the exhaust manifold for the egt probe, I went ahead and popped the cover off the diff.

Not good.

Sorry for the bad picture, but all I had was my phone. However, it's clear that I have issues on both sides of the gear teeth.

So how hard is it to do the gears on one of these? I've got lots of experience with setting the lash on spur gears, but I've never done a set of spiral bevel gears.

Anyone have a good source for gears they could point me to?

Anyone know of a good source for instructions on how to lash these?

I shudder to think about what I'm going to find when I pop the cover off the rear diff.
Attached Thumbnails
Thank Gawd for JiffyLube-front-differential.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011, 04:08 PM

if you don't change your oil i wouldn't get into this. unless of course you just don't change your oil, because it's a job to get rid of it.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1997f-350 View Post
if you don't change your oil i wouldn't get into this. unless of course you just don't change your oil, because it's a job to get rid of it.
Nah, it's not that I can't change my own oil, it's more that I've reached an age where I don't want to change my own oil. As a former mechanical designer and machinist I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to lash the gears, but I've never actually done it on one of these. All the machinery I designed used spur gears or helical gears. When you put the spiral-bevel into it, it becomes a whole new set of specs to take into account. I'm not sure I have all the tools and tricks to be certain everything is right. Right or wrong, it's still the first time for me, and I'm a believer that experience trumps education any day of the week.

Plus, as you might have guessed by my username and avatar, It's a little tough for this old fat guy to climb underneath a truck, (unless it's one of those monster trucks that is.)
Old 05-31-2011, 10:23 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Just gonna put in my .02 from semi personal experience (didnt happen to me, I do all my own work, happened to a family member) Stay away from Jiffy Lube or any of the Quickie Lube places run by drug addicts with anything you want to drive for years to come. If needed, I can go into the long list of details, but I think you understand where we're coming from here.

You spent the money on the truck, spend the time taking care of it so it can do the same to you

Otherwise welcome to the org bud
Old 05-31-2011, 10:28 PM

Here's the tag info off the front differential. I'd sure like it if somebody can tell me what I have here, mfg, model, gear ratio, and anything else that might be significant.

4.10 ▼F81A AYL
▼ 610655-2

This is the front differential. I bought the covers for a Dana 60 and it did fit, but I still really don't know what I've got.

This truck is a 99 F350 SD Dually. It has a build date of 6/98.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e99f2506sp View Post
Just gonna put in my .02 from semi personal experience (didnt happen to me, I do all my own work, happened to a family member) Stay away from Jiffy Lube or any of the Quickie Lube places run by drug addicts with anything you want to drive for years to come. If needed, I can go into the long list of details, but I think you understand where we're coming from here.

You spent the money on the truck, spend the time taking care of it so it can do the same to you

Otherwise welcome to the org bud
Oh yeah, I agree, but I was in a hurry and had a ton of stuff going on at the time, plus the old lady had a coupon. I'm very happy to have joined the PowerSmoke club, but I've long ago lost the thrill of working on (any) vehicle. I am enjoying learning about the truck, and I'm enjoying the modifications I'm making, but if I had the money to have the shop fix this, I would have it there in a heartbeat.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:45 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You have a Dana 60 front end with 4.10 gears.
You have a Dana 80 rear end.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:24 AM

Your gonna need to get a install kit for what axle your doing. Your gonna need a dial indicator for backlash setup and some gear setup paint to set the teeth up on a wear pattern.

If your changing with the same gears, USUALLY you can use the same shims on each side of the carrier, but get new ones new carrier bearings ETC.. Setting up a rear is difficult. Either if pinion is to tight it will whine or if its not it will howl.

Its more time than anything else. Try your local wrecking yard and see what they get for a axle instead. Shops will charge around 1500 bucks usually to tear down a axle and rebuild it. Sometimes you can score a whole new rear axle for 500 bucks.

IMO if it aint howlin or whining or chattering keep running it. Either way if you blow the parts out the diff cover its still gonna cost the same if you took it apart now.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:42 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Randy's Ring & Pinion. The Differential Experts. Auto Parts & Services.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:39 AM

Here's the numbers from the rear end tag(s)
4.10 ▼ F81A AUG
▼605926-2 LS

There is a 2nd tag that says:
41-10

Last edited by MKeeney; 06-01-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.