So she over heated... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 04:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
So she over heated...

Well my 2000 F550 over heated and I think its done. Its a pulling truck that I pull a 53' wedge trailer and haul other trailers. Been doing it for many years and never had this particular issue.

I was chugging up a fairly large hill when it started to overheat and I started to slightly smell coolant. Figured it wasnt that big of a deal because I have had many water pumps go on these trucks and its pretty much slow down and get her to the exit where you can get it changed out. So I got it to the next truck stop with out hitting the red and popped the hood. I looked around the water pump and nothing was leaking. It was cooking out of the top of the reservoir. I slowly took off the cap and released the pressure and coolant came bubbling back into the tank. I filled it back up with water and down the road I went since there was nothing leaking out of the pump.

I made it about 50 miles and it started getting hot again. I put more water in and all seemed to be ok again. I got onto a back road close to my destination and it kept getting hot going up hills. I would pop it into neutral and idle down the hills to keep it cool. At this point I was just trying to get to the dealer where they had a garage. Well after a couple of hills it started to make a lot of black smoke. Way more than normal. I also noticed that when idling, the oil pressure would flicker. I knew at that point I was pretty much doomed so I found the nearest parking lot. I would have to keep the RPM's up to keep the oil pressure up and when I stopped before I was able to put it in park, it just died.
I thought for sure it was blown because it turned over really slow and a little funny sounding when I cranked it. I almost seemed like one piston was sticking but I could be wrong. I pulled the dipstick and expected to see fuel or water but found NONE! Then I pulled the fuel filter thinking maybe an injector o ring went but there was no oil in the fuel either. .
I couldnt get it to start until it was almost all the way cooled down. And now a few days later it starts and runs with no problem. I havnt taken it on the road just idled it and let it get warm but it seems perfect.
So im thinking maybe the thermostat went bad? But how would that explain the flickering oil pressure? The oil was really thin because it was so hot so that may be the oil pressure thing, but why did it over heat in the first place? It never leaked water out of the water pump. And the oil is burnt for sure.
So my question is now what? Change the oil and thermostat and run it? Rebuild it? Sell it? Junk it?
Sorry for the long run on sentences but its all I could come up with!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2011, 04:33 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
I would start with a new T-Stat, and then do the coolant rinse/swap to ELC or whatever you use, change the oil, and go from there.

Hopefully you didn't fry her too bad, but I wouldn't go anwhere until you get new oil in it. How did your tranny look? EGT's?
Old 05-30-2011, 04:42 PM

Yeah I think thats where I want to start with it. I dont want to put any more money into it because its starting to get worn out so I really dont want to rebuild. Fresh oil and coolant are doable though.

That truck doesnt have guages on it so I am not sure how hot the EGT got but judging by how my toes felt on the floor, id wager pretty hot. It does have a 4" turbo back exhaust and a K&N Cone filter.

Best place to get ELC? And I guess that Caterpillar stuff I read about is the best right?
Old 05-30-2011, 04:45 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnot View Post
Yeah I think thats where I want to start with it. I dont want to put any more money into it because its starting to get worn out so I really dont want to rebuild. Fresh oil and coolant are doable though.

That truck doesnt have guages on it so I am not sure how hot the EGT got but judging by how my toes felt on the floor, id wager pretty hot. It does have a 4" turbo back exhaust and a K&N Cone filter.

Best place to get ELC? And I guess that Caterpillar stuff I read about is the best right?
i got zerex elc at napa for $19.99 a gal
Old 05-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:

You can get Rotella ELC at Walmart, but the HD stuff like Cat you have to get from a dealer.

I'm trying to locate CAT right now, actually, appearently the nearest CAT store in New England is in CT.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:31 PM

Cleveland Brothers Caterpillar is right over the hill from me, but I dont want to spend the coin on that for a truck im just going to get rid of.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:45 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That doesnt sound good by any means for sure.. keep us posted what you find.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Cleveland Brothers Caterpillar is right over the hill from me, but I dont want to spend the coin on that for a truck im just going to get rid of.
Well, I guess you could try to sell it as is... but good luck.

If there is any chance of you keeping it, I would do the coolant/oil. If not... you arent going to get very much for it....maybe you could fool a ford dealer on a trade... but other than that.... prolly gonna have a hard time moving it.

If it was me, I would do the coolant/oil, and at least TRY to figure it out.

Good luck, either way!
Old 05-31-2011, 03:03 AM

We bought it new in 2000 and have put about 400,000 on it so it has more than payed for itself. If I can get a few thousand for it then id be happy. I really want to buy an International with a DT466 for pulling my big trailer. This is just finally my excuse to spend the money
Old 05-31-2011, 06:45 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
We bought it new in 2000 and have put about 400,000 on it so it has more than payed for itself. If I can get a few thousand for it then id be happy. I really want to buy an International with a DT466 for pulling my big trailer. This is just finally my excuse to spend the money
put the 466 in your 2001
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.