7.3 LOOOOOONG Term Storage? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 08:11 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 LOOOOOONG Term Storage?

Alright guys here's the skinny.....

My truck has been sitting for about 4 months now already. During these four months the temp has been as low as -30 F* for a week at a time, and is now currently running in the +60's F*. The truck only has about 1/4 tank in it. Now...As if that wan't bad enough, I'm now here in Afghanistan....So she'll be sitting like this for the next YEAR! Due to unforseen drama/circumstances I was unable to do my research and set my rig up properly before this deployment.

The whole reason for sidlining her in the first place is that the steering gear box has offically s**t the bed. At the time, funds were not available to get her up and running.

I attempted (poorly I might add) to get her running, and over to a friends hanger/shop but again....time was short. In my failed attempt I added 5 gallons of fresh diesel and some, not all of, a bottle of Power Service Diesel 911. I added this due to the fact that at that time, the temps had just started warming from -30 up into the +20's, and like I said, it sat through all of it, so I figured I'd have condensation/gelling issues upon startup trying to get it to my friends shop. Needless to say.... I didn't even get a chance to turn her over. So now I have this HORRIBLE c0cktail of 4 month old diesel...5 gallons of fresh diesel...and I'd say about a 1/4 bottle of Diesel 911 is just SITTING in my tank...What the hell am I going to do guys?!?!?!?

I have friends on the ground there back home that would have no problem helping me out....I just need guidance/instruction as to what the heck to do.

Thanks guys...Sorry for writing a book, but I'm just hella' paranoid/freaking out about this. I love my 7.3, and fell like hell having to leave her in the condition she is.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Itll start right up once you charge the batteries. 4 month old diesel isn't an issue. Just make sure to drain the water seperator once you get it running.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yea mine has been seting up since january and the only time I have had a chance to crank it was about three weeks ago and she started right up.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:38 PM

you dont have anything to worry about as long as the diesel is clean.
the backup generators at hospitals run on diesel & have no issues.

oh ya & thanks for all the work your doing over there
Old 05-28-2011, 02:23 AM

Really??

I mean, I don't know any better....thats why I'm asking. But let me reiterate that the truck will be sitting, with both the current fluids that are in the tank, and the current volume, until about May of 2012. I live in Fairbanks Alaska and it hits -50 in the winter for weeks on end, and will get up into the 80's at times during the summer...will I STILL be good?!?! Or am I not giving the legend of the 7.3's bullet-proof reliability it's due?

Thanks guys
Old 05-28-2011, 05:44 AM

well you might want to have your buddy check the coolant protection level to make sure its at the correct protection for your area but as far as the fuel goes even if it did gel up in the tank its not like your going to go right out & start the truck. when you get home depending om the weather just check things over & maybe if its cold out plug in your block heater for 5-6 hours to warm up the coolant before you start it.
also you might want to have your buddy disconnect your batteries or get a good battery tender for them.
i sure others that have experience in those weather conditions will chime in.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:14 AM

ha same deal with mine im in kunduz.. i go on leave tommorrow ive been in germany for over a yr so its been almost 2 yrs since ive started it up lol ill let you know how it goes
Old 05-28-2011, 07:16 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Lotsa worrying for no reason here, but it's good to be worried. 4 month old diesel is not old. My girlfriend's father has year and a half old diesel in his 2004 6.0, and it still runs great. Tells ya how much he drives it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.