Potential New Truck... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Robby

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Potential New Truck...

Alright guys Ive been looking around for a new truck. I want a 03 7.3. Im in no hurry and it hit me one day, I have a buddy who has one. It was a 03 with the 7.3. C/C LB 4x4. Lariat. Full power blah blah. Hes the original owner. Bought it new in 03. Truck has like 6X,XXX miles on it.

Heres the problem. The truck threw out its tranny. I dont know the exact reasoning of why or how but I know its gone. I also know for some reason or another its needs an ECU. Im not sure if that's related to the tranny. I do know the truck is bone stock. He didnt do any mods. Because it isn't drivable, it has sat for the last year or so. I know he starts it up and lets it run so it doesn't ruin anything. It has very little rust.

So my questions for you guys:

-How much is the truck worth as-is state. Not the KBB but what would you guys pay for it or at least think is a reasonable price?

-What would I be looking at for a tranny and ECU for it?

-Even though he starts it, because it has been sitting should I be looking for anything that would have been affected on it?

Sorry about all the questions. Ive owned OBS up to this point and really just don't know much about SD. Not even how well the hold their value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
ok i know the 4r100 in the weak points on our trucks but at 60k for a strock truck that dont sound right also y do u want a 03 u know bout the pmr rods and all that right is it a 5 spd or an auto
Old 05-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Robby

No I dont know about the PMR rods. And It was the last year they did the 7.3. Someone told me if you could buy it that year. Was that wrong? And Auto. Sorry
Old 05-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Banned

02 & 03s have PMRs, only good up to around 400hp. So if you want to make serious HP buy a early model 7.3.

Just typical 4r100 problems, can't avoid them with any 7.3.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:04 PM

99 to 01 i think has forge connecting rods late 01 to 03 has pmrs wich is like the partical board of metal its not as strong as the forged con rods just somethign to think abought im not saying they are terrible but forged is def better when it comes to he newer 7.3l for an auto trans somethign had to fail maybe the sliding clutches in there with 60k was the fluid changed id say maybe a metal partical or somethign thats not normal
Old 05-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Robby

Yeah Ive heard about the tranny problems. What would you say would be best? Going out and getting a new tranny or just upgrading to a better one? And your talking about the connecting rods right?

Edit: Yeah I dont really care why it failed as long as its not a problem coming from somewhere else. If that makes sense? And that makes sense on the connecting rods. I dont really plan on doing super mods to it. Really just some tunes and air intake. Normal mods, nothing extreme. Would that be ok for those rods?
Old 05-22-2011, 03:06 PM

its no reason not to buy a bnewer 7.3l just somethign to think bought for longgevity and all that
Old 05-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Robby

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnavyad View Post
its no reason not to buy a bnewer 7.3l just somethign to think bought for longgevity and all that
Ok well I learned something there. Did a little backround research. SO does anyone have anything on the other stuff I mentioned?
Old 05-22-2011, 04:26 PM

I'd say the real question is, if you buy it and it turns out to be one problem after another will it ruin your friendship???

I'd think it's a pretty good deal if you could get it for a good deal. In good shape they are still around 20k on autotrader. Trans is around $2000-$2500 stock I think. If I could get it for 10-12 I think it would be a sweet deal. But I would go into it knowing that it could have way more issues and not hold that against my buddy.

Note that is taking into account that your "buddy" shoots you straight and you can trust him.

One more thought, if it turns out to be something simple is he going to hold it against you for getting it at a great price. But that goes back to my first statement...
Old 05-22-2011, 04:34 PM
Robby

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMM View Post
I'd say the real question is, if you buy it and it turns out to be one problem after another will it ruin your friendship???

I'd think it's a pretty good deal if you could get it for a good deal. In good shape they are still around 20k on autotrader. Trans is around $2000-$2500 stock I think. If I could get it for 10-12 I think it would be a sweet deal. But I would go into it knowing that it could have way more issues and not hold that against my buddy.

Note that is taking into account that your "buddy" shoots you straight and you can trust him.

One more thought, if it turns out to be something simple is he going to hold it against you for getting it at a great price. But that goes back to my first statement...
Honestly I think it would work out well. Hes a pretty straight forward guy. I would talk to him about it in detail. And he knows its the tranny and ECU. It might have a little more behind it but its only sitting there because he went thru a divorce and just has no money for a tranny.

So 10-12 would be good for it? I was thinking a little lower at 8 but like I said, Im new to SD and just don't know how well they hold their value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.