Bad alarm install experience, need advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 04:02 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad alarm install experience, need advice

About a week or so ago I caught a guy breaking into my truck. He did end up in jail and we will be going to court where I will testify
My truck is the xl one, no power locks,windows, mirrors She runs like heck though So the wife said I should spend the money and get power lockes and a alarm, and you know when the wife says you can spend some money on the truck, dang it boy, you better spend it before she changes her mind!
I was thinking, maybe I would put it in myself, but I have been slammed with work and looks like I will be for a little while at least. So, I don't really have the time right now. Local car audio places wanted around $900 for lock install and alarm with remote start and two way remote.
Well, my wife found a ad on craigslist for a guy who installs the stuff on his own. He can get the alarm from a car audio shop at cost, I picked it up and paid for it. He had worked there for 5 years. I got it all done for $500 a good deal I was thinking. I pick up the truck, he shows me how it works blah blah blah, everything works, cool. I drop the fuse panel cover and see he has all the wiring taped with blue painters tape, not electric tape or wire nuts or crimped. Thats when I first start thinking oh oh there will be problems at some point when blue tape fails. I get what I pay for, cheap price, cheap quality work I figure I will just crimp everything myself later on when I have time. I get home with it everything is fine, showing it off and such. Next morning..... I hit the remote start, it starts and runs for a few seconds and dies, it restarts and dies 2 more times. It stops at that point, the programming allows it 3 repeats. I try it again, it starts, I get in, put the key in and turn it to the on position so it will stay running, well then the starter re-engages! It doesn't realize that its already running! Grinding like heck! I shut it all off. Really p'd off, call the guy, he doesn't understand why its doing that blah, blah, blah. I bring it back to him, he understands that the alarm isn't getting a signal back that the motor is running, reprograms it. Seems to work fine. I drive back home park it, work around the house the rest of the day. Go to move my truck, same freakin thing again!!!! I call the guy, leave messages, going to take it back there today, I think..... However, at this point, I'm not so sure I want the guy messing with it. I really don't want to take it to the car audio shop and get reamed for them to take it out and start over. I have the installation guide. It's not really that complicated, wire to locks, ignition, wait to start light, parking lights etc etc. I just did the glowshift gauge package. I'm feeling confident, that I can surely do better than this guy. He apparantely has it wired to something that doesn't signal until engine is warmed up. It works when its warmed up, but not when its cold.

Sorry soooo long winded, just had to get it off my chest.
What's everyones thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 03:36 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tough crowd out there.

I decided to do the repair myself. I started on it late yesterday afternoon. I have added a couple features that he didn't bother to add.
The hardest part is finding the tachometer wire down in a location to hook into it. I think I will stop by the dealer today and see if they will give me a wiring schematic for what I need, maybe go by the shop where I bought the alarm and cuss out their buddy and see what I can get out of them.
The other hardest part is sitting on your head while doing the connections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.