Newbie here with a 2000 that won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie here with a 2000 that won't start

Hi guys, I'm trying to help a neighbor out with a 2000 Ford F350. It's a 7.3 Power Stroke. He started it up the other day, made it a mile down the road and it lost power and seemed like it was running out of fuel, he downshifted, then it just shut off completely.

I was told by a friend that those symptoms pointed to the cam position sensor, so I picked up a new Borg Warner cam sensor and installed it for him this afternoon. It would try to fire but never stay running. While cranking, it would sound like it was firing momentarily then go right back to cranking. I pulled the fuel filter cap, and I noticed it was pressurized when the seal released - if that means anything. The filter didn't look great so I picked up a new fuel filter, filled the housing with diesel, and put the new filter in. Cranked it again and the truck started momentarily and ran poorly for a few seconds, then went back to the same thing where it seemed to fire a little bit about every second.

I've been searching around and mostly getting confused, but did pick up on a few things to check, so here is a bit more detail on that:

- Fuel tank is 3/4 full
- Engine oil is surprisingly clean and to the top of the hash on the dipstick
- I checked for codes with my ScanGauge II, No Codes Stored
- Wait to start light is functioning normally
- When I turn the key on I hear the fuel pump run for 20-30 seconds

Looking for advice on what to check next. Don't hate me, I drive a Duramax and just don't know much about these engines. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011, 07:51 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Does the fuel bowl stay full our does the fuel level go down when cranking? Are you getting a wait to start light?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide App
Old 05-21-2011, 07:55 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Just te read the post and saw whet you get a wts light. Could be something high pressure oil related as in an injector pressure regulator, our the icp sensor.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC SuperTech View Post
Does the fuel bowl stay full our does the fuel level go down when cranking? Are you getting a wait to start light?

I'd say it goes down, but I'm not sure how full it should stay. When I pulled the old fuel filter out there was only about 3/4 inch of fuel in the bottom of the bowl. I filled it pretty full when installing the new filter since I didn't know if it had to be primed or anything. After it started briefly then went back to cranking I opened the fuel filter housing again and it was down to about the same 3/4 level. How full should it get/stay?
Old 05-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC SuperTech View Post
Just te read the post and saw whet you get a wts light. Could be something high pressure oil related as in an injector pressure regulator, our the icp sensor.

Oh, I also noticed that pretty quickly after I start cranking the oil pressure gauge does go right up like it is building oil pressure.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:13 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

The fuel bowl should stay full. All the way full. Also, the oil prezsure gauge on thr dash is a dummy switch that is only on a 9 psi switch. That's engine oil pressure. Not high pressure oil. High pressure oil is 500 psi at idle, and up to 3000 pressure at full throttle. You'll need a good scanner program to read that.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, it's definately not staying full, but the pump does run for a while after the key is switched on, and there is pressure in the fuel bowl when I remove the cap. So... What's the best way to test that the fuel pump is pushing fuel? Remove the cap and filter and flip on the key? I'm guessing that could be a messy proposition!
Old 05-22-2011, 05:48 AM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

There is a vacuum pump mounted on the pass side fender , that will come on for 20 -30 seconds . Open the hood and have somebody turn the key on to make sure you know what your hearing. If the fuel bowl doesnt stay full and have at least 50 psi ,it could be the fuel pump.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:54 AM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

you need to check fuel pressure . Lets not assume anything or you'll be chasing this all afternoon. On the back side of the fuel bowl , there is a 1/4" plug that you can take out and install a fuel pressure gauge. You'l need at least 50 psi.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:56 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

drain your fuel bowl. put the cap back on, cycle the key. when the wts light goes out, cycle it again. then check. should be full. the fuel pump is right below your drivers door on the frame. I bet your heaing the vacume pump under thehood.....

I was thinking fuel pump all the time, but wanted to check to make sure I was going in the right direction. ususally no start or running rough with no SES light means something related to fuel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.