knocking sound, not motor, maybe trans - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 04:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
knocking sound, not motor, maybe trans

I have been posting about this a few times. I am in nc near trucks unlimited.(scuffy) Anyway, I first thought I had a bad flexplate so I replaced it. I then still had the noise so I replaced the tc with a ford reman(2nd one). Still Knocking so I went to see scott at trucks unlimited. It really sounded like maybe a piston or wrist pin. I removed the motor and brought it to him. The internals looked good. He thoroughly checked it all out. We replaced bearings and rings and reassembled it. It still knocking. He does not and I do not think its motor. He called a friend of his that does transmissions and asked if it could Knock. General responses have been either a conveter or a flexplate can knock. No one seems to have had experience with a trans knocking. It knocks in park or drive does not matter. It drives fine and is fine while revving it. I used a stethascope to listen and front bellhousing area is theloudest banging. Nothing really on the oil pan. Noise is underneath back of moto front of trans.
I wish I could get my hands on a tranny to take apart. I dont have the money right now to experiment on mine. Something is broke somewhere.
The pump is on the front of the rans then what? What can break up there and get loose and hit something while running?
thx any clues?
Scott at trucks unlimited is as experienced as it gets. The motor checked out fine. I aggree, What else can it be?
Transmision guys please chime in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2011, 06:57 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have the same problems with mine, sometimes the knock goes away sometimes its there. I used a stethoscope as well and it is at the rear of the TC that the noise is the loudest. I can only assume that it is the TC or the front pump? I am just waiting till the tranny goes out or I have the money to get a big purple trans. If you wanted to try it yourself I would say from where I hear the noise you could take the front pump out and rebuild it and the problem would go away, just a guess of course.

Let me know what you find?
Old 05-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Could it be one of the shift solenoids in the tranny on it's way out?

Have you scanned it w/ AE?

IDK, good luck, here's a anyway!
Old 05-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have used a snap on scanner, no trans codes. It works and shifts fine. I am pretty sure when i got it, that when i strated it, the trans whined from the pump. All works ok but something hits something each revolution.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:36 AM

Mine works fine too, shifts good, no codes, it just knocks, so till something falls off or I get the money to replace it I guess I will keep the radio up loud enough so I don't hear it.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:41 AM

Finally found the noise

Well the knocking noise finally turned into not shifting and a grinding whining noise so it had to come out. I took it apart and the whole transmission looked very good but the torque converter was totally trashed and sent at least a quart of metal shavings through the whole transmission. After a massive clean up I put in all new fiber, steels, and gaskets, with a Sonax sure cure kit to upgrade all the problem areas. I also put a Sonax shift kit with a .500 boost valve. Some say not to use the .500 but to only use the .427, I now disagree, my transmission shifts better than any other Ford that I have ever driven. The torque converter lock up that usually slowly pulls in for a 4 second shift now happens in about a second. The shift from 1 to 2 is slightly hard but the rest are just firm and fast. The low gear shifts always feel harder because of the gear ratio. I also put a low stall, three disk, billet cover torque converter from Transtar, it is sweet, gets the truck moving with much less throttle.

In closing I learned that a torque converter can sound like a rod knocking, and the 4r100 is a well made long lasting transmission. I could have reused all the clutches, but I opted for all new. I hope this post helps someone out there.

With Kind Regards.

Pablito
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.