Which one to choose - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which one to choose

Ive been shoping around for some trucks and have found these 2 trucks which are pretty nice. i drive 400 miles to college and i need something reliable for that. one is a 7.3 and the other is a 6.0 both 6 speeds. what worrys me about the 7.3 is that it has fender flares on it so im guessing its hiding some rust and the thing with the 6.0 is i know that they have there issues but as soon as i get it im going to have to drop atleast 1.5k into it just to make it reliable. just looking for some input here are the 2 links

7.3- RARE FIND 2001 FORD F250 EXT CAB 4X4 7.3 DIESEL,*6 SPD STICK*,LOADED!!

6.0- HE2216 2004 FORD F350 XLT 4X4, POWERSTROKE DIESEL, 6 SPD MANUAL RED!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just dumped a 2007 6.0 with 123,000 miles for a 1999 7.3 with 140,000. I paid $9,100 for the crew cab 7.3, 2 wheel drive.
I would do the 7.3. Better engine, more reliable and if you buy it today for $10k you will sell it 2 years from now for $8k or more. If you buy the 6.0 you will sell it for $10k two years from now and who knows if you'll have to replace the head gaskets anytime soon which is a $3-$4k job.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:26 PM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

you have a hell of a lot more truck with the 2001. Bullet proof motor, loads of goodies. don't worry about the mileage ,I have 265K on my 2000 and its never let me down . my son has an 06 f250 6.0l , Hes had the head gaskets done 2x under warranty no other problems yet , nice truck but you can't beat a 7.3L
Old 05-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah the 7.3 is a hell of a truck and i do like having the extended cab but id rather have a long bed but thats not really a big deal, gotta think this one threw good before i choose
Old 05-22-2011, 02:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
ill tell u frist hand on the 7.3l side of things ive had 2 totaled my f 250 after the crash it ran with no oil no tie rod no coolent and no trans fluid it still ideled for at least 20 mins then drove on the back of the tow truck to salvage that was with 147k on it also that truck i went from va to nj to pick up a 10000 pound trailer and from nj to ga towing then ga back to va helping my inlaw move his trailers that thing ran all weeknd bascially not one problem after the accident i had to serch to find another 99 i got a 99 f 350 now 100k miles stupid things that all 7.3l need replaceing im runnign into no like the wheel bearings and o rings also the 7.3l is so easy to work on and its a work horse when i say bulletproof they are my suggestions would be once u get it switch to 15-w40 rotella thats what i run also check the valley of the 7.3l they are known to leak oil down from what looks like the transmisson dont freak out its an easy fix also check ur wheel bearings they go every now and again that was a bad on ford in design as for rust i would not worry to much abought it look at it the way as the first replie said 7.3l has proven itself and the name is very well known as for a 6.0 studded and all that u will be ok but im not a fan i haven not realy worked on a 6.0 or owned one and honestly i wouldnt lol any questions let me know
Old 05-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks a lot for the input, i just need some input to help with the decision. i posted a similiar post in the 6.0 forum so i could get both sides and they both have there pros and cons, its gunna take some thinking on my part.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnavyad View Post
ill tell u frist hand on the 7.3l side of things ive had 2 totaled my f 250 after the crash it ran with no oil no tie rod no coolent and no trans fluid it still ideled for at least 20 mins then drove on the back of the tow truck to salvage that was with 147k on it also that truck i went from va to nj to pick up a 10000 pound trailer and from nj to ga towing then ga back to va helping my inlaw move his trailers that thing ran all weeknd bascially not one problem after the accident i had to serch to find another 99 i got a 99 f 350 now 100k miles stupid things that all 7.3l need replaceing im runnign into no like the wheel bearings and o rings also the 7.3l is so easy to work on and its a work horse when i say bulletproof they are my suggestions would be once u get it switch to 15-w40 rotella thats what i run also check the valley of the 7.3l they are known to leak oil down from what looks like the transmisson dont freak out its an easy fix also check ur wheel bearings they go every now and again that was a bad on ford in design as for rust i would not worry to much abought it look at it the way as the first replie said 7.3l has proven itself and the name is very well known as for a 6.0 studded and all that u will be ok but im not a fan i haven not realy worked on a 6.0 or owned one and honestly i wouldnt lol any questions let me know
Holy run-on sentence Bat man!
Old 05-22-2011, 04:18 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Lmao sorry bud using a Droid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.