NEED HELP!!! with front leaf spring removal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2007, 06:00 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NEED HELP!!! with front leaf spring removal

I'm having a problem removing the leaf springs on my 99 7.3L F250 Super Duty so I can replace the bushings. I started on the passenger side and am getting nowhere. In case it matters it is an early model w/manufacture date of 10/98. I've followed the instructions in the Chilton book#26667 and it's just not working. The problem is I cannot get the pressure off the front of the leaf spring to allow the bolt to be removed. I'll post the word for word removal instructions from the book in case I should be doing this different than what the book says.

1. Loosen the rear wheel lug nuts, raise the rear of the vehicle and support it securely on jackstands. Block the front wheels to keep the vehicle from rolling off the stands. Remove the rear wheels. (I did what the book said but why do I need to do this on the rear? Seems I'd be better to leave the rear alone and remove the front wheels but am reluctant to try without asking first)

2. Support the axle (I assume they mean the front axle) with a floor jack placed under the axle tube and raise it slightly to take the weight of the axle. If you're removing the left side leaf spring, detach the lower end of the shock absorber from the spring plate. (Actually the lower end of the shock has to be removed for either side it appears to me because the shock bolts to it on both sides.) (It doesn't matter if I raise the axle slightly or more than slightly I cannot get the pressure off the bolt to get it out)

3. Remove the four U-bolt nuts, the spring plate and the two U-bolts. (I've done this.)

4. At the front end of the spring, remove the nut and bolt from the sprint-to-front bracket. NOTE: On some models it may be necessary to remove the condenser mounting bracket to allow the spring mounting bolt to be removed. (This was true on mine but just cannot get the pressure of the leaf spring off the bolt to remove it.)

5. At the rear end of the spring, remove the lower spring-to-shackle nut and bolt.

6. Remove the spring assembly. It may be necessary to pry the ends of the spring out of the shackle and front mounting bracket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2007, 10:41 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have them out. What I did was put the rear wheels back on and took the stands from the rear axle and put the tires back on the ground. I still don't think the book was correct about jacking the rear up and removing rear wheels to remove the FRONT leaf springs.

I removed the front wheels and set stands under the frame toward the front of the truck as high as could safely go and put bottle jack under the axle and removed all the bolts & brackets. I tried up & down on the axle but never could find a "sweet spot" where the bolts would just come out without working hard at it. Anyway got them out and let the axle down far as could and remvoved the springs. The bushings didn't look nearly as bad as I expected for almost 260,000 miles but will replace them. This was lot more work than it looked and took so long the place I was taking the springs to is closed now till Monday but at least I'm this far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.