Serpentine Belt Chirp/Squeal/Squeak Help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Serpentine Belt Chirp/Squeal/Squeak Help!

Tried searching, but didn't come across another post that looked similar to what I'm experiencing...

I just replaced my waterpump, and I know have a squeal/squeak/chirp coming from the serpentine belt.

It's not very loud like a true fan belt squeal sound that you hear on poorly maintained vehicles. It's more high pitched, and seems to almost tick or chirp very quickly. The problem becomes most noticeable around 1400 rpm's.

You can hear the noise at idle, but you pretty much have to be listening for it. Under a bit of throttle, when it gets to that 1400 rpms, it is significantly louder - not earpiercing, but definitely noticeable.

Now, the belt appears new. I think it was replaced within the last 15k miles - it's still pliable, has no cracks, and looks to be in great shape.

The truck was NOT making this noise prior to replacing the water pump. I've checked under the hood and it looks like the belt is seeded properly around each pulley.

I also tried the soap trick, which made the sound disappear, but it came back about 10 miles later. I have NOT tried belt dressing, nor have I taken the belt off to check each pulley.

Any ideas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2011, 08:45 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Replace your belt
Old 05-12-2011, 03:14 AM

Yeah, maybe I'll try that today...

I have a sneaking suspicion that it's not the belt though.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:43 AM
Christ Follower

Could it be the new pump? Have had this happen before. If you have a piece of rebarb, or other metal pipe, start the truck and very carefully place one end of the metal against the housing and the other clost to your ear. You should be able to go from component to component and tell which one is going bad. If you can't find one, great time to do the dual alternator upper radiator hose and a new Gatorbelt. good luck
Old 05-12-2011, 06:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You might have a pulley alignment issue that is causing the belt noise.

The waterpump pulley may be further in or out than before it was replaced--could be a difference in gasket thicknesses between the old and new, something between the pulley and the wp flange, or a difference in pulleys.

I had a similar belt noise/chirp problem after changing the wp and the ps pump. At times it sounded like an accesory bearing going out. It was a bit of a devil to track down as the sound disappeared when running without the belt and none of the bearings made noise when hand turned. Turned out I put the ps pulley on too far--by about an eighth of an inch. Fixed that and it solved the problem.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:24 AM

Ok, new Gatorback belt ordered. I'm going to take a look again when I get home from work (luckily, my truck is my 2nd vehicle) and test the pulleys. I think I remember seeing a little bit of back and forth rocking movement in the tensioner, so I want to verify that, but chances are I'm going to replace it anyway. I don't know if it's ever been replaced in the 160k miles I've got.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:55 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Definitely check the tensioner... mine went bad at 147K. My belt kept coming halfway off on the AC compressor. Took the belt off, then the tensioner came off without any tools.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:00 AM

^^ Whoops.

I ordered the tensioner since my last post. $80.00 even for a genuine Motorcraft tensioner shipped to my door.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:47 PM

ok. So I took the belt off, and all pulleys are spinning freely with exception to the power steering pump pulley - it has a bit of resistance.

Guess that means it's time for a power steering pump too...
Old 05-13-2011, 08:48 AM

Just wanted to add to this... the chirp doesn't really sound like a bird...it's a little hard to describe, but I guess the best way to put it is that it sounds kinda like someone who is trying to whistle, but doesn't quite have the hang of it yet...once in a while they catch the right shape and it's a slight whistle or chirp....it's definitely something to do with the serpentine belt (and system) though, since I have gotten it to stop a couple times briefly with some belt tricks.

The soap worked for a little while, and last night I tried a dab of silicone on the belt, which also worked for a minute or two, but the noise came back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
belt, chirp, serpentine, squeak, squeal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.