Temperatures - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Temperatures

I live in Australia and have a 2004 (which is the same as your 2003) 7.3 litre Ford F250 dual cab with the 4R100 auto transmission. As to motor wise the engine is stock other than a 4" stainless steel exhaust with 3 1/2" dump pipe.

I have installed three gauges, EGT Temp, Trans Temp, Boost.
Can anyone give me any info on the following.

EGT Temperatures, what is the ideal operating temperature and what is the maximum temperature reading that should be reached before damage can occurr. I have the sender installed in the dump pipe just after the turbo and I know there is discussions on whether you fit the sender pre turbo or post turbo. When the sender is installed pre turbo and drilled into the exhaust manifold they say it can read some 200 degrees higher than when installed post turbo, is this correct.

Trans Temperatures, what is the ideal operating temperature and what is the maximum temperature reading that should e reached before life of the trans fluid is diminished and damage can occurr. I am running standard mineral transmission fluid at present.

Boost Reading, what is the normal readings of the boost when driving normally, putting your foot into it, or towing.

Any information is appreciated.

Cheers
Stewart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2007, 02:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

bump for some help! mine are as follows egt at idle is normally 350 degrees f max you should do is 1250 deg. f i have a pre turbo and post turbo egt i only notice 75 deg f difference if that some times only 50 deg f difference trans temp i dont know as for bost 12 to 15 lbs of boost stock maybe 18 lbs of boost normal driving 0-4 lbs of boost.

Last edited by willypscustoms; 08-05-2007 at 02:20 AM.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Hi sjtremain,
Where abouts in Australia are you? I am just outside Brisbane.
I have a 2001 7.3 with the 4R100 but have quite a few mods so my data may not be of much help to you. I run synthetic transmission fluid and use the truck almost exclusively for towing. I have never seen over 150 deg. transmission temp.
When towing 2.5 tonnes on the flat, boost is under 5psi. Mine will run up to about 28 psi. [MAP fooler and ATS Compressor housing] with the boot into it.
My pyro sender is in the l/h manifold and shows about 350 deg. at idle. I limit my EGT to about 1200 deg. by either backing off the throttle or going down a gear, you should notice a drop in EGT's as you increase revs.
Good to see another Aussie on the forum. I see a lot of 250's on the road when travelling the east coast and often think it would be good to form a group in Australia.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

G'Day

I am over in Perth but have not been there full time as I have been working in the middle east for the last three years. Will be home for good in one week.

Like you I have just purchased a 21' Bushtracker, picked it up last April from Qld and drove back to Perth. Probably weighs up to about 4000kg.

Your tranny temps are probably lower because of the synthetic oil as Ford say ideal running temp is around 80C (176F) and places the transmission into limp mode at 132C (269.6F)

As you can see I work in celcius and have the gauges in celcius. I have many extras added to the truck as well as I will be doing a lot of travelling in the next couple of years I hope.

Thanks for the info, and to the others as well

Cheers
Old 08-05-2007, 06:52 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Here is what i do as far as post turbo EGT's i back out if it gets to 866 F Almost never happens though as far as trans temp 230-240f you are getting to hot
Old 08-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hi
I'm on the south coast of NSW and another Bushtracker owner, van 4.4t truck 4.6t and done 140k in this format.
Normal run temps Brisbane to Perth Trans 50c to 70c EOT 85 c to 90c Egt up to 400c
Hot running on the trans 95c engin oil temp 100c to 105c egt 450c very very hot running ( Tawomba range ) trans 105c EOT 115c EGT 475c.

Graham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.