tranny and rear diff oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2007, 02:48 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up tranny and rear diff oil

Have a 2000 7.3 and am upgrading the tranny pan and rear diff to the Mag HyTech...
What tranny oil would you guys recommend, brand and weight
What rear diff oil would you put in, same thing
thanks and the it is a limited slip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2007, 02:51 PM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
tranny is Mercon SP. You could be amsoil synthetic. Hear some really good stuff about that.

rearend is 75W140 synthetic. Could go amsoil there too. I've used the royal purple that already has a friction modifier (which you'll need for the lim. slip) added into it and have not had problems.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmerc View Post
Have a 2000 7.3 and am upgrading the tranny pan and rear diff to the Mag HyTech...
What tranny oil would you guys recommend, brand and weight
What rear diff oil would you put in, same thing
thanks and the it is a limited slip
I wouldnt reccomend the Mag HyTech pan without first doing an additonal trans cooler. The extra fluid will take longer to get hot, but if it does get hot it will also be harder to cool down without the additional cooling....

The trans takes Mercon (Mercon 5 from ford, as their new formula is compatable with both fluids)

The rear diff takes synthetic 75-140 and you should add friction modifyer to it if the clutch packs for the limited slip chatter at all after the fluid change. That will clear the chatter up after a couple days if it does happen.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJohnWayne View Post
tranny is Mercon SP.
Nope...only the torqshift trannies take Mercon SP.....Mercon or fords new Mercon 5 for all 4R100's......
Old 08-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Lord Tauk Send a message via AIM to Lord Tauk
Synthetic 75W-140 on the rear diff. Probably all the synthetics pretty much now have that friction additive for the springs in our LSDs, usually says on the lable.

Any Dexron III/Mercon trans fluid. The Mag Hytec Trans pan holds a lot more than the factory 4x4 pan, the diff cover holds more too.

FWIW, I just added the pan without going to a bigger cooler, temps haven't gone above 180 degrees in our summer weather, and it takes by my guess a normalish time to cool down, I even raced up at Cecil a few times a few weeks ago, no issues with it staying hot and not cooling down fast enough.

I'll get a bigger cooler sometime down the road.

Last edited by Lord Tauk; 08-01-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:15 PM

confused now

I thought the reason for getting the larger tranny pan was to keep the temps down, bigger better pan??????
I am adding the 4" exhaust this weekend with the EVO2 programmer and also changing out the pans of course......I was not told about having to have an auxillary cooler, I live in Reno, Nevada, gets hot here 90-100 in summer but only drive once a week with it, towing occasionally

what's the thoughts out there, anyone running these mods without the aux. cooler??
how much does the rear diff take to fill??
Old 08-01-2007, 03:23 PM
Banned

The stock diff takes 3-3.5 quarts to fill......im guessing the new cover will add about half a quart so 4 quarts should do ya...

The bigger pad does add more fluid, and it does take longer for a larger amount of fluid to get hot. Problem is if the fluid does get hot, then it takes a long time to get it cooled down cause there is more there. I personally would get the larger cooler before putting the larger pan on myself...
Old 08-06-2007, 07:38 AM

changed the fluids but question?

Well, the rear diff cover from Mag says to put in 6 quarts of the 75w 140 and it took it all plus 7oz. of friction......
Did the transmission change and I am having a hell of a time finding out if I have over filled the transmission fluid....maybe it is just me but the whole **** stick looks pink to me, cold or hot, maybe someone out there can tell me how to figure this one out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.