Air Conditioning Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Air Conditioning Question

Hey All, I noticed that my A/C wasn't blowing very cold so I went and got a new can of R134 to put in. Well, with the A/C on max the compressor was kicking in and out constantly and then after the R134 it now at least stays engaged all the time..which is good. However, I checked the pressure on the low-side and it was still low, so I added another can. Now it's just into the "full" range, but that's it. How many cans of this stuff should I put in? Also, I noticed that when I shut off my truck and the A/C was on, I hear a slight hissing noise coming from the area where the A/C hoses go into the firewall, is this normal or do you suppose this might be where my leak is? This hissing noise stops after about 10 seconds or so, like it's bleeding off pressure and then stops. To my knowledge the A/C system on this truck has never been serviced before now. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2007, 11:05 AM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Did you try the 134 w/ stop leak? I have had to use more than one can before. Just don't over fill.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:21 AM

No, I've not tried the stop leak yet, just regular 134. So I'm taking it that the 10 seconds of hissing of after I shut the system off is NOT normal then? Does yours hiss at all when you shut the truck off after having the A/C on for awhile?
Old 08-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The hissing that your talking about is probably from the two lines (suction and discharge) equalizing their pressure through the metering device. Look around your entire a/c system, and if there is a leak to worry about you will likely find an oil stain or slick around the leak. If there is a leak, you will have to take it to a reputable shop and have them repair it because afterwards they will need to pull a vacuum on the system to remove any non-condensables (moisture, air). Hope that helps
Old 08-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Premium Member

If you read on the tag somewhere around the hood latch it will tell you what the capacity is for the system. You will be able to tell how low you were and if you have overfilled it. The hissing I am sure is the equalization of pressure. As stated before the oil residue will be a identifier that you have a leak and where it is.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:47 PM

Oh good, I'm glad to hear that the hissing noise most likely is normal, thanks for the info. I'll check that tag to be sure but the A/C seems to be working a heck of a lot better now, maybe it truely was just low. Usually with my luck nothing is ever "just low", it's usually broke and is very expensive.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:08 PM

On the 2006s there was a tsb that came out that there a half a pound to lowfrom the factory.when I took mine to scott he added more.I'm not sure if it is for the 2000 or not
Old 08-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
Most systems only carry 1-3 lbs of refridgerant... the most cars are about 1.5 - 2 lbs. So if you are completely empty, you'll probalby only need 3 cans MAX. And all my vehicles make that hissing sound - you're good to go there...
Old 08-01-2007, 01:17 PM

I never shut my truck down before turning the A/C off. I let it idle a few seconds after shutting the A/C off. So, I have never heard the hissing sound you are talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.