4x4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-31-2007, 07:30 PM
Dieselis' Maximus
 

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Auburn, Wa
Posts: 1,057
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4x4

I have a quick question.

On manual hubs do they need to be locked when in 4HI or just 4LO

I Figure it is yes, and i only ask because im not near my book to look it up and I remember My buddies Ranger had manual hubs but they only needed to be locked when engauging 4LO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 07-31-2007, 07:34 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit


 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Trempealeau, WI
Posts: 31,335
Thanks: 126
Thanked 127 Times in 112 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Gotta lock em in in either 4 hi or 4 lo with manual hubs otherwise the axle is just freespining and doin nothin for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 07-31-2007, 07:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Scituate, Massachusetts
Posts: 1,395
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4HI or 4LO if you dont lock em' you got no power going to the front axle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 07-31-2007, 07:42 PM
Dieselis' Maximus
 

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Auburn, Wa
Posts: 1,057
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the quick replies. anyone changed to autolocking hubs? i dont imagine it would be to difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 07-31-2007, 07:44 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit


 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Trempealeau, WI
Posts: 31,335
Thanks: 126
Thanked 127 Times in 112 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Should have to lock em in on the ranger 4hi or 4 lo too if they are manual hubs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 07-31-2007, 07:49 PM
duct tape & zip ties

 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willis, MI
Posts: 10,762
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by driximus View Post
Thanks for the quick replies. anyone changed to autolocking hubs? i dont imagine it would be to difficult.
Yes it would be, as well as costly. I say this because if you have manual hubs then you need the vaccuum conections and lines plus the auto locking hubs. As well as any other parts.

Manual locking hubs are better in my opinion because they usually are stronger and less likely to fail when the vaccuum is lost.

The only hubs I would switch too is the warn hubs.

Also if you live where you get snow and need 4wd often. I suggest you drive around with your hubs locked in. I do this all winter long I have yet to have any damage or premature wear. The only thing I did notice is a drop of about 1-2 mpg in the winter. As long as you only engage the 4wheeldrive when needed you won't have no problems. My auto locking hubs vaccuum system has failed often and no longer works. Yeah I could fix it but it is easy to just lock and unlock the hubs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 07-31-2007, 08:01 PM
Dieselis' Maximus
 

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Auburn, Wa
Posts: 1,057
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sweet that is the first time i have ever heard that When i get back ill try cruising around with them Locked. My main concern was Snow when i travel home over the rockies. However Ill give that a try. Thanks for the help everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 07-31-2007, 08:15 PM
Member/MARINE
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Westerville, Ohio
Posts: 992
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to rajharley
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
Yes it would be, as well as costly. I say this because if you have manual hubs then you need the vaccuum conections and lines plus the auto locking hubs. As well as any other parts.

Manual locking hubs are better in my opinion because they usually are stronger and less likely to fail when the vaccuum is lost.

The only hubs I would switch too is the warn hubs.

Also if you live where you get snow and need 4wd often. I suggest you drive around with your hubs locked in. I do this all winter long I have yet to have any damage or premature wear. The only thing I did notice is a drop of about 1-2 mpg in the winter. As long as you only engage the 4wheeldrive when needed you won't have no problems. My auto locking hubs vaccuum system has failed often and no longer works. Yeah I could fix it but it is easy to just lock and unlock the hubs.
Big Country....so are youn saying that if i turn off my hubs that I might see 1-2 MPG more???? This is my first 4x4 and I do not think I have taken them outta the locked position since I owned it. Other than just checking them to make sure that I can still move the switch on the hubs back and forth from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 08-01-2007, 03:45 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit


 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Trempealeau, WI
Posts: 31,335
Thanks: 126
Thanked 127 Times in 112 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Yeah that is very possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 08-01-2007, 04:52 AM
duct tape & zip ties

 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willis, MI
Posts: 10,762
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajharley View Post
Big Country....so are youn saying that if i turn off my hubs that I might see 1-2 MPG more???? This is my first 4x4 and I do not think I have taken them outta the locked position since I owned it. Other than just checking them to make sure that I can still move the switch on the hubs back and forth from time to time.

Yes Rajharley, if you unlock them you will gain 1-2mpg. I can't even believe you been driving in cali with them locked in all this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors