Catalytic converter question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 07-29-2007, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Catalytic converter question

what's inside of a catalytic converter?...is it something I can just pull out or something by unbolting the exhaust behind it and beating the $hit out of it and pulling pieces out with some pliers?...haha

2001 F350 7.3L 4X4 6 speed reg. cab long bed

The USMC is over 224 years of romping, stomping, hell, death and destruction. The finest fighting machine the world has ever seen. We were born in a bomb crater, our mother was an M-16 and our father was the devil. Each moment that I live is an additional threat upon your life. Ooohhh Raaah!

Semper Fi...2/5 Marines...RETREAT HELL!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-29-2007, 07:20 PM
FJuanfiddy mod

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Pull it out all the way get yourself a piece of pipe and start beating it through that should take care of it

Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 F150 Ecoboost Crew cab lariat. Custom tunes from KEM and 5Star, and Unleashed
2012 F150 Crew Cab Ecoboost stock for now-Totaled March 12 2015
2006 F250 ECSB Lariat 4x4

Leveling kit, 315/70/17 Kelly TSRs on Method race wheels
ARP studs and OEM gaskets done by Renegade Diesel
ECM and Atlas 40 FICM tuned by Bill at PHP SCT tunes by Truck Source Diesel. Gearhead, Innovative, Wildman and Tyrant diesel
Flowmaster/MBRP Hybrid Exhaust
Edge Insight CTS
Coolant filter
Bulletproof diesel FICM EGR Delete, Oil Cooler and Water Pump, and Light bar.
Dually LED lights from Stealth Automotive/Xpedition Outfitters
No Limit Fab 6.0 Cold Air Intake

post #3 of 15 Old 07-29-2007, 07:23 PM

You can get a delete pipe from Ford for a stock system, but yes you can beat the insides out of a cat. They claim its not as good as a straight pipe because of turbulance, but there should be some HP benefit, and it will sound better.

Legendary
post #4 of 15 Old 07-29-2007, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick@DPP View Post
You can get a delete pipe from Ford for a stock system, but yes you can beat the insides out of a cat. They claim its not as good as a straight pipe because of turbulance, but there should be some HP benefit, and it will sound better.

how much would the delete pipe be from Ford?...could I beat the inside of it out while it's still on the truck?...lol...i'm lookin mainly for sound...if its still there, just gutted, will it sound the same as a straight pipe?

The USMC is over 224 years of romping, stomping, hell, death and destruction. The finest fighting machine the world has ever seen. We were born in a bomb crater, our mother was an M-16 and our father was the devil. Each moment that I live is an additional threat upon your life. Ooohhh Raaah!

Buck
post #5 of 15 Old 07-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
yah, it will sound pretty much the same as a straight if its gutted vs putting a delete pipe in there..

as far as clearing it out on the truck.. I have no clue ... I've always seen it taken off and then shove a pole thru it or something.. but my brothers old 5.7 chevy they just whacked it with a hammer several times until you could hear crap rattling around then gunned the throttle and shot that crap out the tailpipe
post #6 of 15 Old 07-29-2007, 07:52 PM

I spent $49 for my delete pipe from one of the sponsors on this site. Just put it in on Friday. was a PITA to get the cat off. But now gets up faster.

Jody in Mesa,Az
97' crew cab xlt, F350
7.3L PSD
Long Bed
2 wheel Drive
3 gauge pillar(egt,boost,trannytemp)
3" down pipe
DP Tuner
CAT Delete.
Tranny Rebuid ( 3 disk TQ, extra clutches, all billet steal internal parts, New HD Valve Body, 45,000 BTU cooler)

37' Avion 5th Wheel
post #7 of 15 Old 07-29-2007, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue01F250 View Post
yah, it will sound pretty much the same as a straight if its gutted vs putting a delete pipe in there..

as far as clearing it out on the truck.. I have no clue ... I've always seen it taken off and then shove a pole thru it or something.. but my brothers old 5.7 chevy they just whacked it with a hammer several times until you could hear crap rattling around then gunned the throttle and shot that crap out the tailpipe

that was my plan...just to beat the $hit out of it and and stick a prybar up in there and bust it up...haha...then let engine just blow it out...I didn't know if that'd work though...lol

Buck
post #8 of 15 Old 07-29-2007, 07:58 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
always worth a shot... try the easiest way first!
post #9 of 15 Old 07-29-2007, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfines@cox.net View Post
I spent $49 for my delete pipe from one of the sponsors on this site. Just put it in on Friday. was a PITA to get the cat off. But now gets up faster.
why was the cat hard to get off?...do you just sawzall it off and weld a put in place or what?

Buck
post #10 of 15 Old 07-29-2007, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue01F250 View Post
always worth a shot... try the easiest way first!
I like the way you think!...haha

Buck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode