General Maintenance Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2006, 09:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to jtomasik Send a message via Skype™ to jtomasik
General Maintenance Questions

I'm thinking ahead a bit, and I have a few questions. Answers to any would be helpful. If I get answers to all, I'll

1. How robust are the cooling systems? I'd imagine regular flushes are the normal requirement. Any weaknesses you know of?

2. Any regular maintenance interval on a water pump? Or, should I just wait until it goes. How hard is it to change out? I briefly browsed the front end of my engine. Any surprises I should look out for?

3. What's the life of the turbo, under normal operating conditions and assuming I'm changing the air filter like a good owner.

4. Any problems with the glow plugs on this motor? I'm assuming it has some kind of method to heat the fuel prior to starting the engine. Educate me.

5. When should I change the spark plugs? Ok...just kidding. Had to throw that in there. When I was shopping for the powerstroke, I went to a local Ford dealer, and I was asking the salesman about any maintenance requirements for the injectors. He said there weren't any, but then suggested I change the spark plugs at 100,000 miles. I stopped asking him further questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2006, 01:35 PM
Jon

Your kidding right?

I just spent 1400 dollars at a corner shop getting 11 new sparkplugs in my '02 7.3. I think I got screwed. I hope they didnt over charge me for removing the winter air from my tires and puting in summer air.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:40 PM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Yeah you got screwed ROYALLY!

I had mine done for about half that.....and they put 12 plugs in mine.........SplitFires too!
Old 05-23-2006, 04:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtomasik
I'm thinking ahead a bit, and I have a few questions. Answers to any would be helpful. If I get answers to all, I'll

1. How robust are the cooling systems? I'd imagine regular flushes are the normal requirement. Any weaknesses you know of?

2. Any regular maintenance interval on a water pump? Or, should I just wait until it goes. How hard is it to change out? I briefly browsed the front end of my engine. Any surprises I should look out for?

3. What's the life of the turbo, under normal operating conditions and assuming I'm changing the air filter like a good owner.

4. Any problems with the glow plugs on this motor? I'm assuming it has some kind of method to heat the fuel prior to starting the engine. Educate me.

5. When should I change the spark plugs? Ok...just kidding. Had to throw that in there. When I was shopping for the powerstroke, I went to a local Ford dealer, and I was asking the salesman about any maintenance requirements for the injectors. He said there weren't any, but then suggested I change the spark plugs at 100,000 miles. I stopped asking him further questions.
alright...here goes.....

as far as the cooling system, they are pretty good. you should use the PH adjuster/water pump lubricant from ford every 30-50k if it has green coolant, its not needed for gold. do not mix or change coolant type.......other than that, flush or completely drain and fill the system every 30k with green, and 60k with gold. the average water pump only lasts about 100k, but the average guy doesnt take care of his cooling system either.....and as long as you can get access to the fan clutch wrenches, its not a tough repair anyways.....

the turbo should last the life of the motor unless either a freak something happens or you dont maintain the air intake system well......the glow plugs also rarely need anything done with them, althogh you may see the occasional relay biting the dust. if the glow plugs are not working, it will still start at temps above....roughly 40-50 degrees, but it may smoke white some, and probably will not start at temps below that. 99% of the time its the relay and not individual glow plugs. you were exactly right above. the glow plugs heat the air to allow the fuel to combust in a cold cylender, and are not used for more than a minute or so roughly after the motor is started......hope this helps.......Marc
Old 05-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodslinger
Yeah you got screwed ROYALLY!

I had mine done for about half that.....and they put 12 plugs in mine.........SplitFires too!

You guys are worthless....

except for a great laugh!
Old 05-23-2006, 08:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the great info, mschn99 (whew...what a name!). It's much appreciated.

I'm getting my fuel rail pressure checked at the shop (to ensure the coppers aren't leaking), since I'm really not sure where to hunt on that one. Sheeit...I should do it myself. I have the darn guages. I'm just gun-shy, since the truck's new to me.

Does Ford make a good shop manual for the truck? I'd like to learn a lot more about where to test the fuel system and how the systems work. Additionally, I'm also a torque freak...I anti-seize and torque every darn thing on my dirtbikes and vehicles. Usually the stuff is standard torques, but some can be a bit unconventional. And, it's never failed me since I started acting that way.

Thanks again for your info. I'm dreading the coolant change...but, to me, it's more fun than changing automatic tranny fluid or doing a bearing roll on an old Cummins NT400 motor.

Last edited by jtomasik; 05-23-2006 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Banned

as far as my name, everyone knows me as Marc....u can feel free to call me that as well if you wish.......

as far as the shop manual goes...if you look for the ford workshop manual...it will be two volumes for your truck, as well as the EVTM (wiring diagrams) if you want that third volume........yes, they are exceptional books, but kinda pricy.. u may want to check out this link within our website though....http://www.powerstrokeforum.com/foru...ead.php?t=1564.........Marc
Old 05-23-2006, 09:00 PM
Banned

dont let the coolant change scare you...i reccomend this...drain as much out of the rad through the pet**** that you can open as possible...obviously with the cap off....then unscrew the block heater element on hte block to drain the rest out of the block......put the heater back in and start it up with the cap off and the heater on full boar......let it run about a half hour or so...topp it off if you need, and there ya go......marc
Old 05-24-2006, 02:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The only reason it scares me is due to the mess it creates in a typical home garage setting. And, getting rid of coolant nowadays isn't as easy, if you do it right.

I checked my truck for the block heater electrical hookup, but it isn't where the manual says it should be. Maybe I'm missing something. I need one, 'cause this truck's going to be outside and we do get cold some nights here in Colorado.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtomasik
The only reason it scares me is due to the mess it creates in a typical home garage setting. And, getting rid of coolant nowadays isn't as easy, if you do it right.

I checked my truck for the block heater electrical hookup, but it isn't where the manual says it should be. Maybe I'm missing something. I need one, 'cause this truck's going to be outside and we do get cold some nights here in Colorado.
99% of 7.3's were shipped with a block heater.....in the block, just some were not ordered with cords.......check the back of the block by the oil cooler and see if your block heater has a cord pluged into it........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.