Dreaded oil pan gasket - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2011, 03:49 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dreaded oil pan gasket

Well it looks like its time to replace the oil pan gasket. The only way to do this is by taking the motor out?
I have never taken a motor out, I have changed transmissions and such.
Is it possible to clear off the turbo and such, then hoist the motor up enough to take out the oil pan? or, By the time I have gotten it to that point I might just as well take it out?
I am thinking of taking it somewhere and having it done, however, if I took it out I would be able to do so many other things while its out. Like clean everything up, paint it both the motor and engine bay, not to mention fixing or replacing various other things while its easy to work on. It would be a good time to change the exhaust out etc etc. I have a somewhat limited work space, I have a horse farm with a barn, but I board horses. So my boarders would be a bit weirded out by a disassembled truck in the horse barn. I wouldn't care but......they provide a nice income for me so I don't have to work so much The tractor shed has a dirt floor and low ceiling, I could do under the old oak tree thing, but, then if it rains.......
I am thinking it would take me a week at least, since it would be my first engine removal, plus all the little side projects I would want to do while its out (clean up,paint,exhaust etc).

Any thoughts or input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 04:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
where on the pan is it leaking? front, back or sides?
Old 04-14-2011, 07:21 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Why do you think it's the oil pan gasket? Those gaskets very rarely fail... But, yes, you need to pull the motor. If there is any rust at all on the oil pan, replace it.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:29 AM
Shade tree mechanic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just make sure its the oil pan before going any farther. Many other common leaks to look for before the oil pan is the positive suspect.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:29 PM

The leak seems to be coming from the front passenger side of the oil pain. That little 1 inch or so flat spot right before it dips below crankshaft. I am second guessing myself, since a couple on here said to look carefully and a highly recommended mechanic I talked to today said to look carefully because those oil pan gaskets very rarely leak. The pan is put on there to stay. I'm going to clean it up some more and try to get as close as I possible can to the area while its running and see.
I will report back with my findings as soon as I can.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 04-14-2011, 02:34 PM

yeah, they're more likely to rust through than bust that gasket. IMO though, if you do have any o.p. gasket/ rust problems, id put on a new one that is coated HEAVILY in undercoating. Not that cheap flakey stuff either. Dont wanna hafta re-do it.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:23 PM

I swore up and down Mine was leaking and could see it drip out, no trail nothing no oil in the valley. Mine ended up ebing the EBPV rod. blowing straight back ontop of the trannyand drippign down somehow to the oil pan by the starter.

Do you have oil leaking from the trans cross member? Mine was leakign from all over the trans from beign blown over top of it. When I took the pedestal off I couldnt believe how much oil was on top ot the trans in all the hiding spots... couple hours and some cleaner and it shines again though
Old 04-17-2011, 05:35 PM

Well I cleaned it up really good and got plenty of lighting set up.
The leak is in between the timing cover and oil pan at that little flat spot right before it dips under the crankshaft.
So everything gets pulled off the front to get to it. It drips about 1 quart for every 150 miles probably. Its making a mess underneath, oil spots everywhere from airborne drops.
I'm hoping to do while its in the truck.
I plan on changing out the water pump while its off, any other suggestions?

or any other thoughts?
Old 04-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
the motor must be pulled to change the oil pan, no other way has worked well.. anyway water pump is good, put a coolant filter on too.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:14 PM

Pulling the motor is not too bad honestly. I took off the bumper,grille,headlight panel,radiator,IC etc. And me and my dad just pulled it straight out the front. Was not bad at all. Even though my oil pan was not in bad shape i replaced it with a new one anyways. Its also a good time to replace the dipstick gauge adapter nut and o-ring.

Last edited by sethc24; 04-17-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.