Brake Lights dont work but Fuses are good, Need Help!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 06:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brake Lights dont work but Fuses are good, Need Help!!

Posted a thread in the Tires, Wheels and Brakes forum as well... trying this forum for better luck getting answers

I have a 2002 F250 7.3L 2WD.

Brake lights stopped working within the past couple months didnt know until i was stopped by a cop.

I have checked all the fuses with a fuse tester, All other lights on the vehicle works.

I have replaced the Brake Light switch attached to the brake pedal.

I have tried reseaching the Relays but don't see any relay listed for the Brake Lights. I see relays for Anti-Lock, Trailer Tow and other relays not related to the brakes. But When i press the brake pedal i don't hear or feel a clicking - seems like i did before could be my imagination. If there is a relay for the Brake lights can anyone help determine which on it is???

Any help, thoughts, ideas would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2011, 06:49 AM

One more thing

When i connect my boat trailer all lights work like normal but the Brake lights on the boat trailer do not work either...
Old 04-13-2011, 07:54 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Check the wiring connector for the brake lights at the rear of the truck. It'll be up behind the bumper/hitch area.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:59 AM

Thanks Zach, i kind of thought about that but was thinking if i had a bad connector the lights wouldnt work at all. I guess that's the only other thing to check
Old 04-13-2011, 08:23 AM

Not to call you out but did you check both sets of fuses? The ones inside and under the hood? Put a multimeter on the wires and see if you are getting any juice. If you get nothing then i'd trace the wires back to the harness and check with the meter wherever i could and try and find it that way. good luck
Old 04-13-2011, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

K - Making the assumption that the 3rd BL isn't working either.

So...again, assuming the fuses are, in fact, good....Either A) there is a wiring problem or B) there is a bulb problem. Easy stuff first, have you checked or changed any of the bulbs to see if that is the problem. I see Superduties all the time with the 3BL not working. It is possible for the filaments in the tails to burn out too. What's that likeihood that all 3 are burned out? I have no idea, but it is the easiest to check.

Another thing you can do is check to see if you have voltage at your trailer connectors when the brake pedal is pushed.

I'm just making the suggestion.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the replies:

RHFD, i appreciate the tip, i am pretty mechanically inclined but dont normally work on vehicles, i didnt realized there was another set of fuses under the hood, only checked the box under the driver dash. I have been so busy i just havent had a lot of time to work on it. and was hoping to get some good tips so i could target my troublshooting in the short time window i have each day

SuperCrutyPS, I have not changed the bulbs yet mainly because logically figured that because the brake lights didnt work on the boat trailer either when connected then mostly likely wasnt the bulbs.

Question: if the brake light filament is burnt out on both tail lights would that cause the boat trailer brake light to not work correctly? I will go ahead change the bulbs to be thorough, just wondering.

the only other thing i can think of is the trailer connect is messed up and possibly shorting the brake like wiring.

So apparently there is no Relay that controls the brake lights, there is only fuses... is this correct?

thanks again
Old 04-13-2011, 10:55 AM

3rd Brake light

BTW, i don't have a 3rd brake light on this truck. Aside from the 2 tail lights and the Trailer, there is no other brake light on this truck...
Old 04-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfifeco View Post
Thanks for the replies:

RHFD, i appreciate the tip, i am pretty mechanically inclined but dont normally work on vehicles, i didnt realized there was another set of fuses under the hood, only checked the box under the driver dash. I have been so busy i just havent had a lot of time to work on it. and was hoping to get some good tips so i could target my troublshooting in the short time window i have each day

SuperCrutyPS, I have not changed the bulbs yet mainly because logically figured that because the brake lights didnt work on the boat trailer either when connected then mostly likely wasnt the bulbs.

Question: if the brake light filament is burnt out on both tail lights would that cause the boat trailer brake light to not work correctly? I will go ahead change the bulbs to be thorough, just wondering.

the only other thing i can think of is the trailer connect is messed up and possibly shorting the brake like wiring.

So apparently there is no Relay that controls the brake lights, there is only fuses... is this correct?

thanks again
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfifeco View Post
BTW, i don't have a 3rd brake light on this truck. Aside from the 2 tail lights and the Trailer, there is no other brake light on this truck...
Okay - the above info is good to know. If the truck's BL filaments are burned out, the trailer lights should still work provided the fuses are good.

RHFD has it right. The under dash fuse box is for the truck's lights - The power distribution box under the hood contains the fuses for the trailer lights.

I am a bit confused, being the truck is a 2002 I would have expected the 3BL to be there above the back window with the cargo lights. Hmmmmm......

So...now another question, do the turn signals work? The turn signal and brake light circuits use the same filament in the bulb.

You said you replaced the BL switch at the pedal. Have you checked the voltages there to see if you have juice on the input side and then the output side when you push the pedal down?
Old 04-14-2011, 12:31 PM

SuperCrutyPS, thanks for the reply.

I have not had a chance to check voltage... Need to get a meter, will do that and post an update.

Now beginning yesterday the Turn signals and Hazards don't work either. The strange thing is before yesterday when i would hit my turn signals i would hear the clicking so just assumed it worked, but now i do not hear the clicking of the turn signal and when i checked it they do not work. Was talking with my brother and he informed me as well that they are on the same circuit as well as the Hazards. I am assuming that clicking sound i heard was a relay that possibly just went out?????

I have checked under the hood for the others fuses and can't seem to locate them, it was at night and hard to see even with a flash light. If the fuse panel under the hood is for the trailier lights does that mean the brake light fuse is under the hood as well?

thanks again

Last edited by tfifeco; 04-14-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Added information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.