01 f350 worth buying? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
01 f350 worth buying?

my friends dad is lookin at an 01 f350 ext cab lb. XLT for $3500. he said the body was in rough shape not so much rust as dents(the owner was a drunk and smashed in to things prity often). its a stick less than 150k on it. i dont know much about it other than it runs and drives good. said the clutch is good shifts nicely. i havent seen or driven it my self yet but im just lookin for some oppionions. from how i describe it what do you guys think its worth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2011, 02:24 PM

probably. i would check the turbo and then compression if the turbo looks chewed up.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:30 PM

ok when i go to look at it tommrow i will do that.. just pop the intake off and check for play?
Old 04-12-2011, 02:57 PM

i know to check the oil pan, u joints, ball joints, now the turbo. any thing elts to look at? if that stuff is all good does any one think the truck is worth buying. he said its deff gunna need a new bed probly doors ect.. the body is in real rough shape but if its a stout truck.. what do you guys think?
Old 04-12-2011, 03:14 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Is it a 4x4? As long as it's in good shape mechanically, it's not too bad of a deal, but I'd be worry about how the truck was maintained. If he's too stupid to drive sober, I'd wonder how often the oil and filters was changed...
Old 04-12-2011, 05:00 PM

yes it is a 4wd. his son said he did all the oil changes every 3 to 5k miles. i went over and took a quick look at the truck. the oil pan looks pritty good i didnt get under it because it was raining. the bed, pass side front and rear doors, and pass fender is shot. drivers side just the fender is bent pritty bad the truck has 152xxx miles starts rite up. he said it has been sitting for a few months and thats why it smokes on startup. i didnt see it run for long enough for the smoke to clear up, it didnt smell like oil and it wasnt blue it was more white than anything. the interior has cigg holes in the seats but isnt all that bad. he said the clutch is good but again with out driving or looking under it idk what kind of shape it is in. the frame doesnt look rusted. its actually cleaner than my 06 but that doesnt mean its not bent. will update when i see it again but any advice what to check or look out for would be appreciated
Old 04-12-2011, 05:14 PM

i guess i would buy it, the drivetrain must be worth that. especially if your willing to fix it up and invest a little in it.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:33 PM

yeah the motor looks clean i guess ill have to dive it and see how it rides.. i told the buyer scrap the bed and put a flat bed on it with the goose neck. how hard would it be to find replacement doors and fenders? he used to own a body shop so he can do all the work him self and probly get the paint ect... hopefuly ill be able to go over angain tommrow and drive the truck. from what i seen so far that seems like i decent deal. maby he can get the price a little lower too. the owner of the truck is in jail and his son is selling it so we will see what can be done for the price..
Old 04-12-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdoxa View Post
yeah the motor looks clean i guess ill have to dive it and see how it rides.. i told the buyer scrap the bed and put a flat bed on it with the goose neck. how hard would it be to find replacement doors and fenders? he used to own a body shop so he can do all the work him self and probly get the paint ect... hopefuly ill be able to go over angain tommrow and drive the truck. from what i seen so far that seems like i decent deal. maby he can get the price a little lower too. the owner of the truck is in jail and his son is selling it so we will see what can be done for the price..
Well if its mechanically sound. Sounds like a good buy if they need money that bad man you might be able to steal it from them. Happy hunting!! As far as doors and fenders should be no problem finding them from a junk yard or where you wanna look for that matter.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:45 PM

yeah i just wish it was me in the buying position. im looking at this for a friend. alltho i would love a stick 7.3. hes replacing his 12v cummins, so i cant dick a friend out of comming in to a ford from the dodge. i will tell him to start searchin the salvage yards around. chances are i will be putting some miles on this truck instead of mine hauling horses and hay for his farm. so hopefuly the deal goes thru.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.