Getting ready to do a coolant flush on my E99, going with Fleet Charge. Couple ?'s - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Getting ready to do a coolant flush on my E99, going with Fleet Charge. Couple ?'s

Hello

So I am getting ready for my annual coolant flush and I am planning on going from the green stuff to Fleet Charge in my Early 99. I've read lots of good reviews on the stuff and figured with all the positive feedback I'd give it a shot, plus my local Napa has it.

Anyway, I've been running the green stuff and Ford's SCA, is there any real danger if I don't get 100% of the old stuff out? I've read it's ok to mix them as Fleet Charge is just conventional pre-charged coolant, but I'd like to be sure, and I will flush the old stuff very well. Another quick question, do you guys use any kind of chemical (such as a Prestone flush) in your radiators when you flush it, or do you just rinse it heavily with water?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2011, 06:49 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The risk is, that the ELC will gell remaining SCA based coolant so, you do want to be through with flushing.

No chemicals needed just water (distilled works best, and it's pretty cheap @WalMart) 2 or 3 water only flushes will do it (maybe only 2 if you pull the block plugs more if you don't)
Old 04-12-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
The risk is, that the ELC will gell remaining SCA based coolant so, you do want to be through with flushing.

No chemicals needed just water (distilled works best, and it's pretty cheap @WalMart) 2 or 3 water only flushes will do it (maybe only 2 if you pull the block plugs more if you don't)
Thanks.

I don't think Fleet Charge is an ELC coolant, but I could be wrong. From what I'm reading it's just a conventional coolant pre-charged with SCAs. ELC coolants and early 99's don't seem to play well together.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:46 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Ahhh, I didn't know that, I guess I confused it with FleetGuard

So, one regular water flush should be good....
Old 04-12-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Ahhh, I didn't know that, I guess I confused it with FleetGuard

So, one regular water flush should be good....
Ah yea, easy to do. I am mainly concerned with mixing of colors in the event I only get, say 99%, of the old stuff out before I fill it with Fleet Charge. From what I gather it's ok, but I've always been told not to mix colors because bad things can happen (green+GM Dexcool=big problems).
Old 04-12-2011, 06:25 PM

Did you consider Evans NPG Coolant? I'm palnnign on switchign sometime this summer.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesspool View Post
Did you consider Evans NPG Coolant? I'm palnnign on switchign sometime this summer.
I did but the cost and mixed reviews scared me off. It seems like getting ALL of the water out of my cooling system would be quite the task, so I will probably just end up going with Fleet Charge and distilled 50/50.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.