Loose steering fixed! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Loose steering fixed!

Okay, I searched and found some info on loose steering that worked VERY well. This has probably been covered, but if it helps 1 guy it's worth it.
I came across this article on how to tighten the 2-3" of play I had in my new PSD and it's the schizz.
Note: I'm not much of a mechanic and did this in about 20 minutes including the test drives, so ANYONE could do this.
Read this thread and get all the info like I did, every truck is not the same.

Basiclly I turned it 3/4, drove, turned 3/4, turned 1/2, MONEY. My truck feels MUCH tighter in the steering and seems to have a better turning radius. It is well cautioned in the thread to not over do it, so be carefull. Hope this helps someone out.

Cured my wandering steering - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

http://bit.ly/fn5Fho
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Serving Our Country!

I did the same research then bought a Red Head Steering replacement box. That is only a temporary fix. What's happening is re-meshing the gears inside the box and it'll just keep wearing them down until finally no steering is left. That could be a bad day on the interstate.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc123 View Post
I did the same research then bought a Red Head Steering replacement box. That is only a temporary fix. What's happening is re-meshing the gears inside the box and it'll just keep wearing them down until finally no steering is left. That could be a bad day on the interstate.
Thanks, I should have bought a new steering box. Now i'm gonna die on the interstate. I'm gonna start sending emails to all the idiots that did this.

Last edited by WA_PSD; 04-11-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc123 View Post

I did this temporary fix and I only was able to log 104,000 miles from the fix. I've since sold the truck the temporary fix was still working when I sold the truck and to my knowledge the temporary fix is still temporarily holding as I know the person I sold the truck to.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I tried this fix too, but it didn't last me long at all.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:43 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA_PSD View Post
Thanks, I should have bought a new steering box. Now i'm gonna die on the interstate. I'm gonna start sending emails to all the idiots that did this.
You should have kept your other post where you showed your wonderfulness your highness. Do what you do though! I didn't mean to impede on your thread and share some insight. I'll go back and sit on my donut because my butt hurts so much from making the CHOICE to buy the red head box... Tell your wife to come see me when you wreck on the interstate. I'll post it for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRSA View Post
I did this temporary fix and I only was able to log 104,000 miles from the fix. I've since sold the truck the temporary fix was still working when I sold the truck and to my knowledge the temporary fix is still temporarily holding as I know the person I sold the truck to.
I did it too. Mine lasted 2 days. Two guys playing russian roulette has at least 1 winner. Sometimes it's just luck but for every one that is fixed there are many others that aren't...
Old 04-12-2011, 06:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I gotta just chime-in on this

There are way too many guys, with bad steering components (idler arms, tie rod ends, etc), who think it's OK to just "crank away" on that box. It is a STUPID fix that is recommended way too often here....

merc123 is ABSOLUTELY right! If you indiscriminately crank down on the adjustment (easy to do) you are binding the gears up and will ruin the box (which is probably OK in the first place) and risk losing the ability to steer properly.

Only after eliminating the possibility of the "slop" coming from one of the Many joints in the steering system, should you even consider adjusting the box itself. Have somebody rock the slop in the wheel back & forth while you compare the amount the input shaft moves with the pitman arms movement, and realize, There SHOULD be some "slop".

You need clearance between the gears (just like in your diff, you'd never shim that up Tight - right?)

Any adjustment you make should be slight, and STOP and BACKOFF if you lose all the slop or feel ANY binding (wheels up, off the ground, lock-to-lock)

You're messin' with serious stuff here,,,, don't screw around with Brakes or Steering!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:58 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I know your list wasn't exhaustive, but I would also offer up that ball joints should be included as an often overlooked suspension component responsible for excessive end play in the steering.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:24 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
I gotta just chime-in on this

There are way too many guys, with bad steering components (idler arms, tie rod ends, etc), who think it's OK to just "crank away" on that box. It is a STUPID fix that is recommended way too often here....

merc123 is ABSOLUTELY right! If you indiscriminately crank down on the adjustment (easy to do) you are binding the gears up and will ruin the box (which is probably OK in the first place) and risk losing the ability to steer properly.

Only after eliminating the possibility of the "slop" coming from one of the Many joints in the steering system, should you even consider adjusting the box itself. Have somebody rock the slop in the wheel back & forth while you compare the amount the input shaft moves with the pitman arms movement, and realize, There SHOULD be some "slop".

You need clearance between the gears (just like in your diff, you'd never shim that up Tight - right?)

Any adjustment you make should be slight, and STOP and BACKOFF if you lose all the slop or feel ANY binding (wheels up, off the ground, lock-to-lock)

You're messin' with serious stuff here,,,, don't screw around with Brakes or Steering!
Let him do his 2 FULL turns...even though most instructions say 1/8 or 1/4 turn at most...
Old 04-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Question about this

I just bought a truck, early 99 f250, and when I shift it into a gear (d,p,n,1,2) it's off by 1 gear as far as what it shows. Is this part of the stearing box or somethign totally unrelated? I was told there was a little knob I could turn that would line up the gearshifter with the gear it was actually in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.