High EGT Problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
High EGT Problem

Ok, so before this weekend the truck had the stock turbo, stock exhaust cut off under the truck at the DP, TS chip, 6637 Filter and 6.0 intercooler. The EGTs were at right around 800 just cruising around 70 mph.

Well this weekend I put on a 7.3 van turbo, gutted the pedistal, new turbo and pedistal o-rings, wicked wheel and a 4" straight pipe MBRP exhaust and now the EGTs are at around 1100* while going 70.

I figured going to the van turbo with the bigger exhaust housing, no EBPV and a 4" straight pipe exhaust I should have gotten lower EGTs, not higher. So why would they jump almost 300* for no reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo Puller View Post
Ok, so before this weekend the truck had the stock turbo, stock exhaust cut off under the truck at the DP, TS chip, 6637 Filter and 6.0 intercooler. The EGTs were at right around 800 just cruising around 70 mph.

Well this weekend I put on a 7.3 van turbo, gutted the pedistal, new turbo and pedistal o-rings, wicked wheel and a 4" straight pipe MBRP exhaust and now the EGTs are at around 1100* while going 70.

I figured going to the van turbo with the bigger exhaust housing, no EBPV and a 4" straight pipe exhaust I should have gotten lower EGTs, not higher. So why would they jump almost 300* for no reason?
Out of morbid curiosity, why the van turbo?

And I thought the van turbos were smaller than the SD turbos?
Old 04-10-2011, 02:56 PM

Because I thought my turbo was about shot, it was surging like crazy.

Also, Im pretty sure the SD turbos have under a 1.00 AR housing, the van turbo is a 1.15AR and the Van turbos dont have a wastegate or an EBPV.

Ive been told they are between the stock turbo and the 38r for about half the price.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo Puller View Post
Because I thought my turbo was about shot, it was surging like crazy.

Also, Im pretty sure the SD turbos have under a 1.00 AR housing, the van turbo is a 1.15AR and the Van turbos dont have a wastegate or an EBPV.

Ive been told they are between the stock turbo and the 38r for about half the price.
I knew they didn't have a wastegate, but I thought that was relative to them being smaller and producing less boost, I was under the impression that the E-series were very undertuned, and it would make sense that the turbos were, as well.

But again, I don't know.

Did you look into a rebuild kit for your turbo? (SD one?) Might be worth it to just sell the van turbo and just rebuild the SD one.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:33 PM

My turbo was perfectly fine, just needed a wicked wheel after I had it off but my pedistal o-rings were shot. From everyone ive talked to the van turbo is well worth it and a common upgrade.

The only thing I can think of is either the intercooler boots or Up-Pipes are leaking so I think after I sell my turbo im going to order Bellowed up-pipes and intercooler boots.

Its not a loss of boost, it was seeing 25# instantly with no problems so the only thing I can think of is up pipes or the intercooler boots.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:37 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

Is your boost normal? Does it seem under powered?
Old 04-10-2011, 05:26 PM

Boost is right where it has been all along and its feels awesome. Pulls perfect and comes in quite a bit faster.

I think when I sell my turbo since im going to rebuild it, im going to look into getting bellowed up pipes, new intercooler boots and probably send it in for a custom tune on the TS as apposed to the stock tune from TS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.