Seafoam, didn't go so well - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 03:36 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Seafoam, didn't go so well

I've been dieing to try the Seafoam product out. When replacing my grungy negelected fuel filter. I should be shot, I thought changing it at 20k would be fine, it had been about a year. Wow was it bad I posted a picture under fuel filter at 20k, if you want to see it.
I cleaned the crap out of the bowl, you could eat out of it when I was done.
Then I poured the can of seafoam in and installed the fresh filter. The intial start went fine, however...... since then she has been difficult. I think all the crap that has been building up is now at the injectors maybe?
Should get another can or two and flush it out? I'm thinking a can a day for the next couple of days via the fuel bowl, or, just add some to the tank and let it gradually clean it out?? What I'm worried about with adding it to the tank is, it's going to loosen all the build up from the tank forward and really be in trouble.
Once she starts, she runs out fine and idles fine, its just a longer crank time that I'm experiencing.

Thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2011, 05:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would have never put straight Sea Foam in the filter housing. That product is a consentrate and is to be added to the fuel to clean the entire system. I am surprised your truck fired and ran on it at all. I would add it to the fuel tank and let it burn out with a tank off fuel.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:50 AM
Serving Our Country!

ouch..... hope you didnt damage the injectors
Old 04-10-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EArmsF350 View Post
I would have never put straight Sea Foam in the filter housing. That product is a consentrate and is to be added to the fuel to clean the entire system. I am surprised your truck fired and ran on it at all. I would add it to the fuel tank and let it burn out with a tank off fuel.
not quite...copied from Seafoam-
Another use for Sea Foam® in Diesel applications is cleaning fuel injectors. This is accomplished by getting engine to operating temperature then shut off. Remove the fuel filter (replace filter if needed.) Empty all diesel fuel from filter or filter housing and fill filter or housing with straight Sea Foam®. Reinstall filter on engine, making sure there is no air in filter. Start engine and let run about two minutes, then shut engine off and let sit about 5 minutes. This is called a “HOT SOAK” letting the Sea Foam® soak into the carbon. After the “hot soak” period, restart the engine and road test, driving aggressively for about 5 miles. This will clean carbon from the injectors and the combustion chamber inside the engine.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabelnj View Post
ouch..... hope you didnt damage the injectors
How so, by letting the filter go so long or by adding Seafoam straight, or 'neat', through the bowl?

I've neglected my ff in the past, baaaad, so I'm wondering if the straight shot in the bowl or through the fuel tank is the best approach. I can't screw up, I live remote and my truck is the only way out of here.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:53 AM

Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3
your injectors will be fine..the system only runs at about 60 psi on the high side..the oil is what makes you get the increased fuel pressure into the cylinders..

I would just get some and pour it in your tanks the next few times.. how does it run?
Old 04-10-2011, 03:27 PM

Thanks everyone!
The engine was pretty much cold, well air temperature was 85, I had been working on the truck for a couple of hours. So it was cooled off.
After the thorough cleaning of bowl, then dumping a can of Seafoam in it, it just sat for a couple hours. While I was working on switching coil springs.
After everything was wrapped up, I started it and let it idle for probably 10-15 minutes while I checked for leaks and such.
Then I aggressively drove it for 12 miles into town (to pick up anniversary card for my anniversary was the next day and didn't want to get shot by the wife for forgetting). Then when I went to restart to come home it was hard to start. Drove to gas station, got some fuel and was hard to start again.
I have a lot of driving to do this week so I will put a can in the tank and see how it goes. If the can says one can does 20 gallons or whatever I will add the corresponding amount. So the ratio will be right.
I will try and post thru out the week on any developments.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:33 AM

Update;
I put a can of Seafoam in my tank. A can does 8-25 gallons, I had approx 15 gallons in there. This was Monday morning, by Monday evening the hard starting had almost gone away. There was a lot of stop and go traffic, no real good chance to get aggressive without looking stupid, or getting a ticket. However, the last 12 miles to my farm is country roads with no traffic, so I let'er rip thru there. Tuesday morning, first morning start up was normal and the rest of the day start ups went fine. In fact I had forgotten I even had a problem.
So, all is well, thanks again everyone!
Old 04-13-2011, 03:15 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

good deal man. I need to do thi on my truck. Have a can of seafoam sitting on the shelf.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:20 AM
Don't you worry about it

I did this on my 7.3 but I used the power service injector cleaner I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.